Notices

Clunk sound in the rear went to shop... and then...

Old 07-17-2006, 05:48 PM
buffalobill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the rear sway bar end links - either the bushings as someone already wrote, or the actual 'down links' at the ends of the sway bar. There has been a problem w/ those flimsy down links (also called 'end links') breakingin two, and Honda selectively replaces them even if the car is out of warranty. (the original ones were available individually, but the newer/better ones are only availabe in pairs. Honda dealers were suppose to toss out the wimpier - no longer used as replacement ones.

Or see if something is rolling around in your trunk, esp in the spare tire well - that's a 'duh' worth checking out first, esp. if the car is otherwise driving okay and the same as it always has after installing your springs. Your mechanic sounds like an ass, btw. Find someone else. . .Also, checking that the springs are properly seated against the chassis and that your struts are still okay would be a good idea - struts don't last forever. (did you use the orig struts when you installed the lowering springs? - and, did you cut your bumpstops or remove them ? - don't, if you haven't)

As for the person who asked about 'H&R Sport Springs' & 'Tokico struts - I have used H&R Sport Springs w/ Tokico Blues (not Illuminas) on two different Gen 2 Integras -including re-installing a set from one of the Tegs (that had been flipped head first and end over end !) onto the next Teg - have almost 100K miles on them now and they are still okay. Handles like a gocart but rides much better. lol I also went w/ exactly the same setup on an '02 Accord I4 coupe, and it transformed a mushy feeling car into a very tight handling car, but still has a decent, albeit firmer ride. (I had also installed an Acura TL front strut-tower brace and a TL-S rear sway bar - both inexpensive and easy to do mods every Accord should have as a min) Search this Forum for appropriate year & model Acura doners for your car - also search for an easy DIY re: the same subect. . .

Sticker and moderately larger cross section tires on 7" wide rims help round out the package. With the H&R Sport Springs you'll get an approx 1.8" drop front & rear; good news is that w/ an accurate 4 wheel alignment you may not need to screw around w/ camber kits in the rear. Usually 6th Gen Accords will not need front camber kits. But one cannot use the longer bolt w/ stacked washers 'poor-man's camber kits' on these cars as you can on older Accords, Civics, Integras etc. w/ the four link setup. (frequent tire rotation front to back/same side will extend tire life - duh) Do not confuse the H&R Sport Springs w/ their Race Springs that will drop the car a bunch more, and absolutely require at least camber kits in the rear. . .And, ask yourself if you'll be frequently fiddling around w/ readjusting your shock settings (just because you can), or just set them and forget it. . .If you like to fiddle, get the more expensive Illuminas. Other than bragging rights, I see little or no advantage to pay for a feature I will probably never use after the novelty wears off. . .Hype sells a lot of aftermarket stuff. What do I know ?- the Accord is my 70th something car since 1962 - yeah, I'm an old fart who still likes to modify most everything I've ever owned to go fast(er), stop quicker, and handle better ! The old lady (she'll kill me if she sees this post) encourages me - the Accord is her car. lol

Last edited by buffalobill; 07-17-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Sham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the box for the car jack and tire iron (in the trunk), if not secured in there, they can clank around too