Notices

am i messing up my engine?

Old 03-30-2006, 12:01 PM
badazzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i just got back from autozone, the lady said there's something wrong with my egr and egr broad category so she doesn't know exactly what's wrong with it..... how much would it cost to get the whole egr fixed? it doesn't feel good driving my car anymore.

whenever my car downshifts i feel this massive drag, the car feels so heavy and i get held back by my seatbelt a little.

and it's more unresponsive too. when i press on the gas harder, it takes a while to pick up.... damn this car.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your egr port needs to be cleaned.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:25 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by badazzle
well i just got back from autozone, the lady said there's something wrong with my egr and egr broad category so she doesn't know exactly what's wrong with it..... how much would it cost to get the whole egr fixed? it doesn't feel good driving my car anymore.

whenever my car downshifts i feel this massive drag, the car feels so heavy and i get held back by my seatbelt a little.

and it's more unresponsive too. when i press on the gas harder, it takes a while to pick up.... damn this car.
Take it to the dealer to have them clean your EGR ports, I doubt you're capable of it. It's not the car's fault, it's yours.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:44 PM
badazzle

why's it mine? what did i do

the lady asked me if i've been flooring my car or getting on the highway,
are cars not meant to be floored and be on the high way or something?

will driving around liek this do more damage/cost more to repair?
my mom doesn't wanna take it to her friend till easter...

Last edited by badazzle; 03-30-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:17 PM
93EXaccord
Engines hate me!

First off, there is nothing "Mechanicly wrong" with your car. But the car will run very shitty until you fix it. also very shitty MPG. Since you have already taken it places i doubt that it could be as simple as accidenly disconnecting a sensor or line. Although your ports may need cleaned, some seafoam may hold you till easter. but having your ports cleaned is no complex procedure its not an engine rebuild (not even that is terribly hard) and most people who work on cars could preform an EGR port cleaning in 30mins.

As for the tranny, thats prolly the Honda auto transmisson that NO ONE would think about adding extra stress to.

read up on the site many of your answers are already here.

Last edited by 93EXaccord; 03-30-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Originally Posted by badazzle
...whenever my car downshifts i feel this massive drag, the car feels so heavy and i get held back by my seatbelt a little.
you feel drag because youre manually downshifting improperly... high speed + low rpms + manually downshifting = engine braking.

your egr was probably already dirty... and i guess this led to a clog.

the 00 v6 is covered under the egr warranty extension, but only for 80k miles... if you sweet-talk the service rep, honda may good will the service, or maybe pay for 1/2

http://www.rpi.edu/%7Ejaniv/HAN/TSB/...20Clogging.pdf
Old 03-31-2006, 05:33 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by 93EXaccord
First off, there is nothing "Mechanicly wrong" with your car. But the car will run very shitty until you fix it. also very shitty MPG. Since you have already taken it places i doubt that it could be as simple as accidenly disconnecting a sensor or line. Although your ports may need cleaned, some seafoam may hold you till easter. but having your ports cleaned is no complex procedure its not an engine rebuild (not even that is terribly hard) and most people who work on cars could preform an EGR port cleaning in 30mins.

As for the tranny, thats prolly the Honda auto transmisson that NO ONE would think about adding extra stress to.

read up on the site many of your answers are already here.
Seafoam doesn't do a damn thing for the EGR ports in the J series engines. I used it every 30k miles and mine were still gunked up beyond belief.

The EGR port cleaning takes more around 1.5-2 hours (if you do it right) for an intermediate garage mechanic. The throttle body and manifold should be taken off and cleaned internally while you're in there.

I think you should probably invest in some helms service manuals and learn about the car if you're interested. BTW, trips to redline are actually good for the car...cleans out the carbon build up. But if the carbon is already built up too much, it obviously won't flush it out.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:01 AM
motoguy128

On the newer electronically controlled automatics, I don't think manually shifting them does very much. The computer still controls the actuation of the gear change and has some ability to protect itself. I think the clutch packs that engage the gear may wear out a little quicker if done frequently, but the actual gears and torque converter don't care. I go from D3 to D frequently to get more compression braking form the engine going down steep hills or to prevent upshifts to 4th/5th in slow city driving.

Manual transmissions get btter mileage because as mentioned, a manual clutch provides more direct power transmission, a manual is typically 50-80lbs lighter, and in some cases the gear ratios a more favorable. However the newest generation of 5, 6, and evne newer 7 and 8 speed automatics (Mercedes & Lexus) actually get equal or sometimes better mileage and in some cases accelerate faster.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:06 AM
badazzle

do you guys think it could be the egr valve? my mom's friend is telling her it's the valve not the port.... i have a bad feeling about this she's gonna buy the valve and it turns out to be the port. valves are like 200 dollars. but she's not gonna listen to me cause she thinks she's always right and she's gonna be paying.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:43 PM
93EXaccord
Engines hate me!

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Seafoam doesn't do a damn thing for the EGR ports in the J series engines. I used it every 30k miles and mine were still gunked up beyond belief.
Really? I've always used seafoam and i though it helped (179k and the egr was pretty damn clean on the 93) but now i know to keep an eye out on my dads v6, thanks!