Sponsored by:

Adding radio control to steering wheel-6 gen

Old 03-22-2006, 01:38 PM
sammy607

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding radio control to steering wheel-6 gen

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=198608

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=86734

Came up with these 2 posts doing a search but they don't help me much.

I have a 98 accord EX I4 (non leather) and I’m looking to buy a leather steering wheel from a 98 V6 accord. It comes with the radio control switch but no other wiring. I know the third pin controls the radio. I didn't take the airbag out to check if there's a wire for the radio but I doubt there is one from reading the previous threads. I know in order to get the switch to work with the radio, I have to add a wire to connect the radio with the radio switch. My question is has anyone done this b4 and if so how did you connect the wire. Thanks for reading.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:34 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the threads you found are pretty clear

Originally Posted by MrChad
Nevermind: Appears given enough time and enough incorrect imput, I've come the definative answer.

If you own a 1998, 1999, 2000
Honda Accord EX, EX-L, or LX model you can not install the remote radio steering wheel controls.

Reason: The wiring harness used on this cars is missing the pin connector no. 3 (red/green) wire that interfaces with the back of the radio. I know this because I just tore my dash appart after dinner. Later 01-02 model EX and EX-L came with a different dash wiring harness Model A22 instead of A21 this allows them to run the properly needed wire. Good luck installing a new wiring harness if this is your thing.

Good news though, you can install the HOMELINK remote to any 6th gen Accord. The wires needed to run this are already installed and feeding power to your front map lights, enjoy.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:55 PM
sammy607

I was thinking if there's someone out there that has directly added a wire to connect the radio control switch and could explain to me how it was done.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:52 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Originally Posted by sammy607
I was thinking if there's someone out there that has directly added a wire to connect the radio control switch and could explain to me how it was done.
You'll need to cross the major hurdle of replacing the turn-signal wire ream behind the wheel. (This is the easy $100+ part to purchase) Now that's easy, the hard part is trying to run wires from that too the radio, to control the volume input on the radio.

I'm not an electronics guy, so perhaps that could be done, but rewiring the entire steering wheel to radio wire harness to do that, more power to ya. A lot of work and it could entail more then just one wire.

The main wire harnesses are completely different between SRS seat and non SRS seat cars (i4 vs. V6's in this case/years.)

The volume knob just wasn't that importatnt to me. The good news is your old airbag and wheel trim will fit the new leather wheel just fine. So you don't need to worry about that volume control being on the wheel and not working.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:11 PM
sammy607

Thanks MrChad for the information. It sounds like a pain just to get a volume control on the steering wheel. I'll probably pass on the rewiring part and just install the leather steering wheel.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:22 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Also...why exactly are you swapping out steering wheels? You know Honda sells a leather accessory kit for LX/EX steering wheels, right? I've had it on for 5 years and it has barely worn at all...much much less than factory leather wheels I see from older Accords where the leather is all shiny and obviously worn quite a bit. Plus the leather cover makes the wheel a bit thicker than the factory OEM leather wheel.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:29 AM
sammy607

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Also...why exactly are you swapping out steering wheels? You know Honda sells a leather accessory kit for LX/EX steering wheels, right? I've had it on for 5 years and it has barely worn at all...much much less than factory leather wheels I see from older Accords where the leather is all shiny and obviously worn quite a bit. Plus the leather cover makes the wheel a bit thicker than the factory OEM leather wheel.
Originally Posted by buster133
Here's a pic of the OEM Honda accessory, black leather wrap steering wheel cover on my 99 EX 4cyl sedan. I don't think it looks all that bad and it feels a lot better than plain plasticy wheel that was there, and as was mentioned before, I think only the EX models with leather seats had the leather wheel and shift knob.

My interior is tan like the picture above and I prefer to keep my steering wheel color tan. The price is slightly less than the cover. I paid $35 for the V6 steering wheel from ebay; the steering wheel cover costs $42 from www.handa-accessories.com. I thought about doing a TL-S conversion (which is only available in black) but those wheels are a bit pricey on ebay.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:34 AM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Originally Posted by sammy607
My interior is tan like the picture above and I prefer to keep my steering wheel color tan. The price is slightly less than the cover. I paid $35 for the V6 steering wheel from ebay; the steering wheel cover costs $42 from www.handa-accessories.com. I thought about doing a TL-S conversion (which is only available in black) but those wheels are a bit pricey on ebay.
Base TL's and MDX's had wheels in other similiar shades that can be installed as well. I picked up a perforated grey leather wheel, likely from an MDX cheap years ago.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:45 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Base TL's and MDX's had wheels in other similiar shades that can be installed as well. I picked up a perforated grey leather wheel, likely from an MDX cheap years ago.
Yeah those perf leather wheels are :drool: awesome.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:05 AM
sammy607

Those perforated wheels are nice. A tan one would look great in my car. Only thing is I haven't seen them on ebay. Also I think only 2001 MDX wheels fit. Mind if I ask where did you get yours, MrChad?

Last edited by sammy607; 03-23-2006 at 08:12 AM.