Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 Honda Accord idling problem?

Old 01-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Ang1699

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Honda Accord idling problem?

I have a 1987 Honda Accord. The problem is very strange. I brought it in about a year ago because after the car is warmed up, it is unable to stay idling high enough to stay on. I temporarily fixed the problem by just using my right foot on the gas constantly and using my left foot on the brakes. After a while this didn't work and the car would not stay on. I brought it in and they could not find the problem. They eventually ended up changing my gas tank saying it was rusting from the inside and rust was clogging up the carborator or something? well 5 months after that, it started doing the same thing again! what could the problem be? I really and puzzled here...

Thanks,
Angie
Old 01-06-2006, 02:03 PM
93EXaccord
Engines hate me!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes... this tends to be a common problem, i am currently trying to slove that same problem on an 89 that was brough to me. I found that the gas pedal needed to be readjusted becuase it was very sloppy, and also the throttle cable had worn over the years and needed to be readjusted. those took care of most of the problem the last thing i found was a secondary butterfly on the carburator had come loose and the butterfly was constatanly open instead of closing after warm-up. all these could easily add up to problems.

jut remembered about a year ago this same car came with alot of trouble starting and it would always stall! i took off the carb. cover and found the carb nicely crusted with various depoits. so with some carb cleaner and a tooth brush i cleaned it and it has ran fine upuntil recently.

BTW: have you tried 3geez.com, its dedicated specificly to your generation accord so there are maby more ppl who have knowledge of your problems