Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spark plugs...

Old 02-14-2006, 07:20 AM
vtec-y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plugs

i have the v power ones on my 97 4 cylinder accord. they work fine. i was told not expect anything spectacular from the "iridium power" so i stayed with regular plugs. i did hear that a guy bought the bosche +4 platinum for his civic and blew his head gasket. this could have been a mistake that the guy made. i just dont want to risk it.(it may be a freak accident) furthermore, i stuck with similar stock plugs because im sorta cheap. (just look at my motto below my post)

does iridium make a diff?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:36 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vtec-y
i have the v power ones on my 97 4 cylinder accord. they work fine. i was told not expect anything spectacular from the "iridium power" so i stayed with regular plugs. i did hear that a guy bought the bosche +4 platinum for his civic and blew his head gasket. this could have been a mistake that the guy made. i just dont want to risk it.(it may be a freak accident) furthermore, i stuck with similar stock plugs because im sorta cheap. (just look at my motto below my post)

does iridium make a diff?
For (relatively) low compression NA engines, iridium won't make a difference. It's mainly useful in turbo and high compression applications because it lasts nearly as long as platinum and is nearly as powerful as copper.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:46 AM
vtec-y

Default compression

im doing the gude head package soon which will do many things. one of which is my compression will be increases from 8.8:1 to 11:1 is that considered "high compression?"

thanks
Old 02-14-2006, 09:47 AM
humblehyper

What will happen if the plug is too tight? Thanks.

Last edited by humblehyper; 02-14-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:23 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by humblehyper
What will happen if the plug is too tight? Thanks.
If you overtorque it you might snap it off and/or damage the threads and completely screw yourself over. The torque spec puts the plug at the optimal position for combustion, so realistically if you torque it too much the plug will be in too deep.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:37 AM
humblehyper

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
If you overtorque it you might snap it off and/or damage the threads and completely screw yourself over. The torque spec puts the plug at the optimal position for combustion, so realistically if you torque it too much the plug will be in too deep.
When doing a tune-up on my car, what else do I need to replace? Aside from the spark plug? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:44 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by humblehyper
When doing a tune-up on my car, what else do I need to replace? Aside from the spark plug? Thanks.
How many miles? What have you done to the car and at what mileage?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:29 PM
humblehyper

Please see below. Sorry for double posting, PC is horrible.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:29 PM
humblehyper

I have 61k+, I already changed the air filter when its at 60k and just had the oil changed. Thinking of doing the transmission drain and refill but I dont know what to remove.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:55 PM
jobrien

- oil (use 5W-30)
- oil filter (I prefer Honda)
- spark plugs (NGK)
- spark plug wires (this is really the most optional unless you know you have issues related, OEM or NGK)
- distributor cap (OEM or aftermarket)
- rotor button (OEM or aftermarket)
- valve adjustment (you'll need a valve cover gasket (OEM) to complete this job, some gray gasket maker, and a manual to give you the tolerances, etc.)
- pcv valve (OEM or aftermarket)
- check the air in your tires
- and of course, you've recently done your air filter.

I'm not saying you need ALL of this stuff or you HAVE to do it, that depends on what you've done and when. I can be a little anal. But if you haven't done them or don't know if they have ever been done, then I'd do it all. Routine maintenance is cheaper than big repairs due to stupid neglect or oversight. A few inexpensive parts and some of your time... What's the big deal; right?

And yes, a tranny fluid CHANGE, NOT a flush, and only use Honda ATF. Check the other posts to see how to do this. There is a recent post I know...

Timing belt, etc. should be due around 80-90K.

Last edited by jobrien; 02-14-2006 at 04:45 PM.