Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me please. Accord int wipers/multiple lamps out.

Old 10-04-2005, 07:18 AM
Homestar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me please. Accord int wipers/multiple lamps out.

Hello there,
I've done many searches to find help, so i hope this question isn't redundant. I have a 1998 Accord V6 that has recently had a few minor things fail. Here are my issues. Hope you all geniuses can assist. BTW, I am skilled enough to fix most things myself, I just need a little guidance. I like this site and appreciate any input. Some of these problems I know how to fix, but I'm looking for evidence of a bigger problem, or to see if any of these things are related. I'll try to list in order of occurance.

My cruise control indicator lamp (on button) is out. CC still works and I think I can fix.

My Int Wiper setting stopped working. This is really annoying. Really annoying. All other settings work fine. I'm clueless. I've checked and rechecked every fuse. I read somewhere to replace the Int light fuse, but that didn't work.

The Odometer lamp went out, I can replace it myself, but need advice on removing the black plastic "border" that covers the clear plastic of the dash. I removed the two visible upper phillips screws, but the bottom won't budge.

The Neutral gear lamp on the dash went out. Not sure here.

I think that's all. Like I said, I've checked about every fuse in all three spots, so if anyone could advise, especially about the wipers, I'll send you a pound of fresh Starbucks coffee! Unless you don't want one. Then you get nothing. Except neverending appreciation. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:26 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha well everything is light bulbs besides the wipers, which I'll get to in a sec.

For the cruise switch, you have to pop out the switch with a small screwdriver (wrap the head in tape so you dont scratch anything). There's a tiny lightbulb (it might be an LED) that lights that up, your dealer can get you a new one.

The odometer and N have both happened to me. Remove the gauge cluster like you're doing, but the bezel was tricky for me my first time too. You have to give it a pretty good tug. Don't worry about breaking anything. Also try bending the plastic a little to loosen the clips. Once you get everything out the bulbs are pretty obvious.

As far as the wipers, I smell loose ground or relay...for a pound of starbucks I'll walk out to my car, get my Helms, and troubelshoot it for you
Old 10-04-2005, 08:24 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Yup, there's an intermittent relay located directly below the windshield washer motor (right below the driver's side windshield wiper). It looks like it's on the firewall in the engine bay. It's a little rectangular box and it has five plugs (the only relay with 5 plugs in the entire car I think, besides the moonroof one), all going the same way. Like this:

____ (1) _____ (2) _____ (3)

____ (4) (nothing below 2) _____ (5)

To test it, there should be continuity between 1 and 2 when power and ground are connected to 3 and 4. Also, there should be no continuity between those terminals when the ground is disconnected.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Homestar

Default Cool, thanks.

Word. I actually did get the bezel off, and went up to the dealer to get the bulbs. But now I realize i forgot the N bulb. (That is a bulb, right?) Anyways, the dealer didn't have anymore green bulbs for the CC button light, but they gave me a clock bulb and I razored off the green plastic coating and reapplied it over the clock bulb, and it's exactly the same. BTW for anyone interested, the replacement green bulb for the button light was 13 dollars, and the clock bulb was 1.50, so its a good trick, and I guarantee the same results. The bezel actually has two clips on the bottom section at each corner, so that's where to pull from.
That testing stuff may be a half notch above my knowledge level and skill, but it's not above my ability, so I'll do it tomorrow and let you know. PM me if that's possible on this site, and I'll send you a pound of your choice by the end of this week. Thanks, I feel better now.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:11 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by Homestar
Word. I actually did get the bezel off, and went up to the dealer to get the bulbs. But now I realize i forgot the N bulb. (That is a bulb, right?) Anyways, the dealer didn't have anymore green bulbs for the CC button light, but they gave me a clock bulb and I razored off the green plastic coating and reapplied it over the clock bulb, and it's exactly the same. BTW for anyone interested, the replacement green bulb for the button light was 13 dollars, and the clock bulb was 1.50, so its a good trick, and I guarantee the same results. The bezel actually has two clips on the bottom section at each corner, so that's where to pull from.
That testing stuff may be a half notch above my knowledge level and skill, but it's not above my ability, so I'll do it tomorrow and let you know. PM me if that's possible on this site, and I'll send you a pound of your choice by the end of this week. Thanks, I feel better now.
Hey thanks man As long as you have a multimeter and a couple of spare wires to hook up power and ground, you'll be good.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Homestar

Default Okay, new twist...

So I realize there may be no need to check for continuity as I can visibly see 2-4 wires have been severed in two places. I'm sure I can repair them, although the space is pretty tight. Looks like a wire (or two) is/are broken coming out of the wiper motor, as well as under the relay. I'm concerned as to how this might have happened. They look frayed more than cut cleanly. Maybe I can email you a photo or two. Thoughts? Verona on it's way btw.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:40 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by Homestar
So I realize there may be no need to check for continuity as I can visibly see 2-4 wires have been severed in two places. I'm sure I can repair them, although the space is pretty tight. Looks like a wire (or two) is/are broken coming out of the wiper motor, as well as under the relay. I'm concerned as to how this might have happened. They look frayed more than cut cleanly. Maybe I can email you a photo or two. Thoughts? Verona on it's way btw.
Wow that's really weird. Maybe a small rodent got in there? Happened to my little electric Jeep when I was about 5 h: Thanks so much for the coffee!
Old 10-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Homestar

Yeah, that's what my friend said.