Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Block Heater?

Old 10-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Accord2005NJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Block Heater?

Hi,

I live in Northern New Jersey. In the winter it can be bitter cold. I heard that the most engine wear and tear happens when starting your car cold because it takes split second (or few) for oil to warm up and reach all parts of engine.

Someone recommended me engine block heaters.

Can you please tell me if it is good to get them and how do they work (i.e. what they do and how you use them).

Thank you.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Accord2005NJ

Anyone?
Old 10-02-2005, 08:24 PM
motoguy128

I lived in Michigan for many years which is as cold or colder than where you live. I personally think a engine block heater is a waste unless you live in extremes where overnight temps regularly drop under -20F in the winter. THe newer cynthetic oils perform well in cold temps, and I alos think the whole "cold start-up" concern is mostly nonsense. Oil bonds fairly well to metal, so even after sitting all night, there is still a film of oil on the contact surfaces. Oil pressure comes almost immediately since the oil pump is directly driven by the crankshaft.

I had a '91 Tercel that survived 12 Michigan winters and 120,000 miles with regular, cheap non-synthetic multiweight oil. It was outside all winter and as a teenager I abused the car heavily and rarely let it warm up before accelerating hard. When I sold the car the engine still never burned a drop of oil and I was even towing a 1000 lb trailer with it on occasion and also had a roof rack.

Modern engines are far more durable that people think.

To answer your question, block heaters are electric and plug into a standard 120VAC wall outlet. I believe some just try to heat up the oil in the oil pan. Others try to warm up the entire engine block.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:26 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Accord2005NJ
Hi,

I live in Northern New Jersey. In the winter it can be bitter cold. I heard that the most engine wear and tear happens when starting your car cold because it takes split second (or few) for oil to warm up and reach all parts of engine.

Someone recommended me engine block heaters.

Can you please tell me if it is good to get them and how do they work (i.e. what they do and how you use them).

Thank you.
Engine block heaters aren't going to do anything except...warm the block up. It doesn't help distribute oil in any way. The only benefit would be that your heater would work faster, but I really doubt that it would help the longevity of your engine at all.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Accord2005NJ

Hi,

Thank you both for your informative responses. I think I will not use engine block heaters as I already use syntehtic oils and that, it seems, should be sufficient protection.

Thx