Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0420 Code AGAIN!!!

Old 08-31-2007, 06:40 AM
profuse007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or search for o2 simulator on ebay, it looks something like that. you dont have to do no drillin or such. cost 11bucks shipped. used it and itworks 100%, got rid of the engine light and passed emission.

btw, I need a pair of fog light cover for 01-02 coupe accord and H-emblem on grill
Old 08-31-2007, 08:51 AM
skabone69

Originally Posted by tattery202
scabone and totalmoron, I just registered to say you guys are unbelievable. Totalmoron took the conversation down with his moron comment and although dave could have expressed it better, he was only trying to bring it back up to a more mature level. I'm impressed with the way he eventually resolved the conflict and I'm sure you two are breaking your arms patting yourselves on the back for your knowledge of cars. I don't give a $hit how much you know about cars, it doesn't give you the right to berate people for trying to help.

Go ahead and reply to this message, I won't be back to see what 12 year old response you'll have. I'll be spending my time on forums with the adults.
nice first post, way to bring a thread back from the dead. I'm glad your contributing to the board with something that actually relates to this thread.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:25 PM
MaxRL

Not to jump on an old thread but I was driving down 95 today and suddenly in my Acura (RL) the same P0420 code popped up and the check engine light came on-- along with a check emissions warning.

I have 77K on this car-- just wondering if the common workaround for this was the replace the Catalytic converter in your cars? I know we may have different vehicles-- but under the same Honda family, the architecture of these cars are still the same in may ways...just trying to see if I may need to make sure the CAT gets replaced by 80K
Old 01-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Accord1278

I had the same exact problem...here's my original post...

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/a...ode-p0420.html

And here's my update:

Update:

The check engine light cleared itself!! Turned off yesterday as I was driving. I basically didn't do anything except that I put in a bottle of Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner and let the gas tank run almost empty before filling up again. I didn't do any resets, didn't pull any breakers, didn't disconnect the battery, didn't replace the cat or the O2 sensors, etc. This time I made sure the cap was on there securely and heard a few clicks, because the person pumping the gas just threw it on without a single click. I drove it for about 50 miles before the CEL extinguished. I did step on the pedal like once or twice and had the throttle wide open for a few seconds while driving.

:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:
Old 05-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Haunless

Originally Posted by Accord1278
I had the same exact problem...here's my original post...

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/a...ode-p0420.html

And here's my update:

Update:

The check engine light cleared itself!! Turned off yesterday as I was driving. I basically didn't do anything except that I put in a bottle of Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner and let the gas tank run almost empty before filling up again. I didn't do any resets, didn't pull any breakers, didn't disconnect the battery, didn't replace the cat or the O2 sensors, etc. This time I made sure the cap was on there securely and heard a few clicks, because the person pumping the gas just threw it on without a single click. I drove it for about 50 miles before the CEL extinguished. I did step on the pedal like once or twice and had the throttle wide open for a few seconds while driving.

:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:
Just joined to see if I can find out why there is such a problem with all these Hondas reporting cats not working etc - I tried the injector cleaner trick and the warning light went out for a couple of weeks then came back on...

So I got the O2 sensor cleaned out (some gunk came out of the middle of it) and...the light went out again! Just driving it to see if this is a proper solution - I'll be back...
Old 06-05-2009, 11:57 AM
wienee

Default Cat code for 2.3L 1998 EX

I have the P0420 code also but I have noticed a slight loss of power and a 2-3 mpg loss. Since the P0420 code can indicate a faulty Catalytic converter or corresponding O2 sensors, is the decrease in fuel economy more indicative of a faulty O2 sensor prior to the Cat converter since it helps determines the proper fuel to air mixture?