Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Accord V6 Transmission Replacement - Any Problems?

Old 09-01-2005, 07:07 AM
Usagi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Accord V6 Transmission Replacement - Any Problems?

I just took my 2001 Accord V6 into the shop to have the transmission looked at. I've had a progressively worsening problem for weeks with the transmission slipping, along with a slow leak. From what I've been able to find out, the car is eligible for a transmission replacement under the extended warranty. When I talked to the service rep, he said it "sounded like" they would just need to replace the transmission, but we'd need to "talk further" if it was something else. Which I took to mean that any transmission repair other than a total swap-out will not be covered under warranty.

My question is, has anyone covered under this extended warranty brought their car in with the above symptoms, and not had their transmission replaced? I'm extremely anxious about this, because I just can't afford any expensive repair work right now. I'm worried too because I'm behind on my scheduled maintenance, and I don't want them coming back telling me the warranty is void because of that.

Thanks for any help you can give on this issue!
Old 09-01-2005, 07:22 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, welcome to the board. Hopefully you'll stick around.

Two questions:
1) Does your car have under 100k miles?
2) Is your D4 light blinking, indicating an automatic transmission trouble code?
Old 09-01-2005, 07:25 AM
Usagi

Thanks for the welcome!

Oops, I should have included my mileage: 53,000 mi.

And I have not noticed my D4 light blinking.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:29 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

The stipulation under the extended warranty coverage is that you must have a DTC for the transmission or they will not replace it. When my transmission went (My year is not covered under the warranty and I had 150k), it slipped and stuttered for 50k miles before it finally let go and stopped shifting altogether.

Since your car has relatively few miles, you can do one of two things. The first is to bitch at your dealer and, if necessary, talk to an area rep...they know this is a problem and they will fix it for you. The second thing would be to beat the hell out of it and just wait until you get a trouble code or your transmission fails altogether. You have 47k miles to take advantage of the warranty after all. Either way you'll end up with a new tranny...the dealerships might try to screw you over, but don't confuse them with Honda corporate because they do an admirable job of taking care of their customers.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Usagi

I will be pretty depressed if I can't get my tranny replaced because I'm not getting the proper flashing light. I was looking at the recall letter on the Owner Link site, and it lists the following not-normal characteristics:
  • While driving, the D4 indicator on the instrument panel flashes.
  • An abnormally loud noise from the transmission.
  • Extremely slow or delayed gear engagement, upshifts, or downshifts.
  • Abnormal gear slippage during upshifts or downshifts.
  • Erratic or excessively harsh shifting.
  • Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) leaks.
Right now, the only item on that list I haven't been experiencing is the first one!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:09 AM
Jester4176

Are you sure about the 100k warranty? When I asked the dealer, they told me it was only 80k, and since I have 86k, it wasn't covered. Mine is a 01 also, and the trans is starting to shift funny.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Usagi

This is what the letter says:

American Honda is announcing a warranty extension for the automatic transmission on all 2000-01 Accords, Odysseys, and Preludes. The automatic transmission and torque converter are now covered for a total of 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date of original sale. We are providing this warranty extension because a higher than normal number of automatic transmissions in certain vehicles may have problems due to defects in material or workmanship beyond the 3-year, 36,000-mile new vehicle limited warranty.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:58 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by Jester4176
Are you sure about the 100k warranty? When I asked the dealer, they told me it was only 80k, and since I have 86k, it wasn't covered. Mine is a 01 also, and the trans is starting to shift funny.
The 80k warranty applied to emissions and an EGR Valve extension.

Like I said, call Honda customer service if you have a problem with your dealer...they take care of customers. I've never heard of anyone getting denied that's tried.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Usagi

Okay, I just got off the phone with the Honda service rep, so I thought I'd write an update for anyone who might be interested.

Let me just say that Zimbrick Honda, Madison, WI, rocks. First off, they are going to replace the transmission free of charge. I'm afraid I'm not tech-savvy enough to really understand the explanation, but it's something about the differential bearings being worn out and this leading to a leak in the rear axle. I'd actually like to understand what this means so I'd be grateful for any explanation. While the mechanic was diagnosing the transmission issue, he also found, funnily enough given Jester4176's post, that the EGR valve was clogged, and sure enough, that is covered under that 80,000 mile warranty, so they are fixing that free of charge as well.

The service manager said he could not release the car back to me in this condition, and that they would provide me a rental for the holiday weekend, also at no charge.

So, at least for the time being, I'm very relieved and pleased at how the situation is working out. I've generally gotten excellent service from Honda, but that was only for routine maintenance type issues -- I've had good luck with my previous two Hondas and never had to take them into the shop during their warranty periods. However, during my one dark period when I drove a Nissan and had it in the shop constantly for various problems, the Nissan service people (at 3 different locations) treated me like crap, and did everything possible to weasel out of the warranties. So, I had no idea what to expect from Honda. I'm glad that at least this dealer cares about taking care of their customers!
Old 09-01-2005, 11:17 AM
jschmid

Originally Posted by Usagi
Okay, I just got off the phone with the Honda service rep, so I thought I'd write an update for anyone who might be interested.

Let me just say that Zimbrick Honda, Madison, WI, rocks. First off, they are going to replace the transmission free of charge. I'm afraid I'm not tech-savvy enough to really understand the explanation, but it's something about the differential bearings being worn out and this leading to a leak in the rear axle. I'd actually like to understand what this means so I'd be grateful for any explanation. While the mechanic was diagnosing the transmission issue, he also found, funnily enough given Jester4176's post, that the EGR valve was clogged, and sure enough, that is covered under that 80,000 mile warranty, so they are fixing that free of charge as well.

The service manager said he could not release the car back to me in this condition, and that they would provide me a rental for the holiday weekend, also at no charge.

So, at least for the time being, I'm very relieved and pleased at how the situation is working out. I've generally gotten excellent service from Honda, but that was only for routine maintenance type issues -- I've had good luck with my previous two Hondas and never had to take them into the shop during their warranty periods. However, during my one dark period when I drove a Nissan and had it in the shop constantly for various problems, the Nissan service people (at 3 different locations) treated me like crap, and did everything possible to weasel out of the warranties. So, I had no idea what to expect from Honda. I'm glad that at least this dealer cares about taking care of their customers!
Wow, that's awesome...free rental from Honda, that's awesome.