Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAQ: Accord 5th Gen 94-97 DTCs

Old 09-01-2005, 06:46 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FAQ: Accord 5th Gen 94-97 DTCs

This thread will list the DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) with a brief description of it. To receive a more in depth explanation of the code and/or troubleshooting methods, please search the forum for that code or ask in my TSB/tech question thread.

I HAVE A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, ABS OR SRS LIGHT; HOW DO I FIND OUT THE TROUBLE CODE? For 6th gens, you'll have to either bring the car to the dealer and for $60 they'll tell you and diagnose it or you can bring it to an Autozone or similiar and they'll hook up an OBDII reader to your car for free and grab your code. However, there is a special shortcut you can take to eliminate the need to start your car up:

Reading Check Engine/ABS/SRS Codes

1) Jumper the service connector
2) Turn the ignition key to ON
3) Count the flashes on the instrument panel
4) Look up what the code means

The flashes will be a series of long blinks, a pause, followed by short ones. For example:

Long-Long-Long-Long-Long-Long-Long____ShortShort

7 long and 2 short, indicates a code 72.

The 'MIL indication' column refers to the number of times the CEL blinks when you insert the paper clip into the connector. It is not uncommon to get multiple codes, so be careful and write them down.

Clearing Check Engine Codes

1) Remove the Back up fuse for 10 seconds.

Accord 94-97 DTC Codes

Engine Codes

Transmission Codes

SRS Air Bag Codes

How to Clear SRS Codes

ERASING THE DTC MEMORY

Use a paper clip

1) Turn the ignition switch OFF, and disconnect the SRS service connector from the service check connector.

2) Connect the SRS service connector to the MES connector.
3) Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
4) The SRS indicator light comes on for about six seconds and goes off.
5) Remove the SRS service connector from the MES connector within four seconds after the SRS indicator light went off.
6) The SRS indicator light comes on again. Reconnect the SRS service connector to the MES connector within four seconds after the SRS indicator comes on.
7) The SRS indicator light goes off. Remove the SRS service connector from the MES connector within four seconds.
8) The SRS indicator light indicates that the memory is erased by blinking two times.
9) Turn the ignition switch OFF, and wait two to three seconds.
10) Turn the ignition switch ON (II) again; the SRS indicator light should come on and go off after about six seconds. Confirm that it does not come on again after another 30 seconds.
11) Turn the ignition switch OFF.

ABS Codes

DTC 1 (ABS Pump Motor Over-Run)
DTC 1-2 (Pump Motor)
DTC 1-3 (High Pressure Leakage)
DTC 1-4 (Pressure Switch)
DTC 1-8 (High Pressure System)
DTC 2-1 (Parking Brake Switch)
DTC 3-1 (Pulser, Right Front)
DTC 3-2 (Pulser, Left Front)
DTC 3-4 (Pulser, Right Rear)
DTC 3-8 (Pulser, Left Rear)
DTC 3-12 (Different Diameter Tire)
DTC 4-1 (Wheel Sensor, Right Front)
DTC 4-2 (Wheel Sensor, Left Front)
DTC 4-4 (Wheel Sensor, Right Rear)
DTC 4-8 (Wheel Sensor, Left Rear)
DTC 5- (Wheel Lock, Rear)
DTC 5-4 (Wheel Lock, Right Rear)
DTC 5-8 (Wheel Lock, Left Rear)
DTC 6- (Fail Safe Relay, Front/Rear)
DTC 6-1 (Fail Safe Relay, Front)
DTC 6-4 (Fail Safe Relay, Rear)
DTC 7-1 (Solenoid, Right Front)
DTC 7-2 (Solenoid, Left Front)
DTC 7-4 (Solenoid, Rear)
DTC 8-1 (ABS Function)
DTC 8-2 (CPU Comparison)
DTC 8-4 (Integrated Circuit)

How to Clear ABS Codes

Remove the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) B2 (15 A) fuse in the under-hood ABS fuse/relay box for at least three seconds to erase the ABS control unit's memory.
The memory of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) is erased when the connector is disconnected from the ABS control unit.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:19 AM
eurodima
Life is short, Enjoy!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Code

Hey guys. I did the diagnostics again and I come up with code 9-2. I will try to take it to AutoZone and see if they can do diagnostics on it. But by the description of that code "Faulty SRS power supply." How do I fix that. Or how do I reset it??? I tried taking out the back-up fuse but it still lights up and gives the same code. (i think thats only for enging check light) I will appreciate any help.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:42 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by eurodima
Hey guys. I did the diagnostics again and I come up with code 9-2. I will try to take it to AutoZone and see if they can do diagnostics on it. But by the description of that code "Faulty SRS power supply." How do I fix that. Or how do I reset it??? I tried taking out the back-up fuse but it still lights up and gives the same code. (i think thats only for enging check light) I will appreciate any help.
The purpose of the back up fuse is to reset your light once you've fixed the problem, it won't make the problem go away.

There's no troubleshooting from Honda on 9-2, I don't know what to tell you. When did the problem start occuring?
Old 09-16-2005, 07:08 AM
eurodima
Life is short, Enjoy!!!

Default SRS Light Problem

I truly don't think it's a problem. My car was hit, but the air bags did not deploy, and the SRS light was not on either!!!! I took it to a shop to get the frame pulled. Before they did that they took out the SRS fuse, but I really doubt that they disconected the battery. When the fuse was replaced, the SRS light came on. I think they started the car before they put the fuse back in. So I think that was the problem that system detected. So I thought if I clear the codes, maybe it won't light up again. But I am sure that the problem was not caused by the original accident. The bags were not deployed and the light was not on. What do you guys think????
Old 09-16-2005, 08:07 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

I dunno, check the SRS power supply :dunno: Make sure it's properly connected and nothing was damaged.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:34 PM
cconfusionn

how do i check for an ABS light?
Old 09-18-2005, 07:06 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by cconfusionn
how do i check for an ABS light?
The procedure is listed in the post
Old 09-19-2005, 07:04 AM
eurodima
Life is short, Enjoy!!!

Default SRS system reset

Finally, I have done it. I cleared my SRS light. I researched more on the internet and found how to clear the SRS light on the 5th generation accords. If you guys have the same problem just follow this:

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/show...&highlight=srs

You CAN reset the SRS light yourself. I've done it. In fact, I don't even think there's too much to worry about when doing this procedure. There's a link below that takes you to the Prelude Service Manual and how to reset the SRS light, but the same applies to the accord so don't worry. You can reach the MES control on the accord by going UNDER the driver side dash. If you look on the other side of the driver side fuse box in the foot well, you should be able to see this yellow tab with 2 wires sticking into it. The rest of the instructions are below. And yes you can use a paperclip. Another thing to note, if the SRS light came on becuz of a direct SRS defect, then doing this procedure wont fuq nething up (i think). if there's a problem, then this procedure just wont work and the light will remain on. I've done it and so have other people.

It worked on my accord.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:07 AM
eurodima
Life is short, Enjoy!!!

Default Thanks

I just want to thank everyone who tried to help me. Your responces diagrams and suggestions helped a lot. Thanks again. :goodjob:
Old 09-19-2005, 07:12 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by eurodima
Finally, I have done it. I cleared my SRS light. I researched more on the internet and found how to clear the SRS light on the 5th generation accords. If you guys have the same problem just follow this:

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/show...&highlight=srs

You CAN reset the SRS light yourself. I've done it. In fact, I don't even think there's too much to worry about when doing this procedure. There's a link below that takes you to the Prelude Service Manual and how to reset the SRS light, but the same applies to the accord so don't worry. You can reach the MES control on the accord by going UNDER the driver side dash. If you look on the other side of the driver side fuse box in the foot well, you should be able to see this yellow tab with 2 wires sticking into it. The rest of the instructions are below. And yes you can use a paperclip. Another thing to note, if the SRS light came on becuz of a direct SRS defect, then doing this procedure wont fuq nething up (i think). if there's a problem, then this procedure just wont work and the light will remain on. I've done it and so have other people.

It worked on my accord.
Okay I posted nicer instructions from Honda on how to reset it in the first post.