Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 accord hard to get started sometimes

Old 08-22-2005, 01:05 PM
laurelin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 accord hard to get started sometimes

my 92 accord has this starting problem for almost one year. generally, it won't start in the cold morning and rainny day. it just clicks, no crank, I've to try to turn the key many times (sometimes more than 10) to get it started. and if I trun it off right after it gets started ,then start it again. it just starts easily. the fuel filter was just replaced and the spart plugs was replaced 6 months ago. I suspect it's a ignition problem but don't know how to diagnosis . battery works fine (checked in autozone). need help. thanks.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:07 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"clicks"?
Old 08-22-2005, 01:25 PM
laurelin

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
"clicks"?
yeah, just clicks from under the hood (could be froom starter). and for a couple times among the dozen tries, it cranks but not starts.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:28 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by laurelin
yeah, just clicks from under the hood (could be froom starter). and for a couple times among the dozen tries, it cranks but not starts.
So it does crank? Sounds like your main fuel relay, a very common issue on Accords. Check out the FAQ I just posted or try a search.

Or it could be worn spark plugs or distributor cap or spark plug cables...ever replace those things?
Old 08-22-2005, 06:58 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

but i thought the main relay usually goes out during hot weather? unlss of course, it is so bad now that the relay just went out.

mine wouldnt start one early morning and it turned out to be the ignition coil within the dizzy.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:05 AM
Tanker

Originally Posted by laurelin
The click means that the starter solenoid is trying to make a secure contact. If the current reaching the solenoid isn't great enough, you will hear a click under the hood.

The solution is fix the cause of the current loss usually from the console switch (or 5-speed, the clutch switch.)

Some test you could attempt to run are:
  1. voltage drop test.
  2. Apply battery voltage directly to the solenoid.
  3. Short the suspect switch.

`
Old 08-23-2005, 04:45 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First thing, figure out which relay is doing the clicking. Open the hood & listen while someone tries to start.

Main relay is under the dashboard, above the hood-release lever. Starter solenoid is in the engine compartment kinda attached to the starter. FIRST thing you GOTTA do is listen & figure out which one is making the clicking noise.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:58 PM
HallKemar

Theres about 10 topics like this
Old 08-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Sense-A
Mentor

i had similar problem. every now and then car wouldn't start. a click (which is normal) but no startup.

Clean off your battery terminals and tighten them.
Lightly tap your solenoid and start with a wrench
if tapping on your solenoid/starter works, then either your starter is going bad
or you just need to tighten it up or undo it and inspect it and put it back in.

Worked for me. I thought I needed a new starter but i just took it out cleaned it up and put it back in and haven't had a problem since.