Sponsored by:

90 Accord timing and TDC marks not on flywheel

Old 08-21-2005, 01:34 PM
MrHankey
90 Accord LX 213K miles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Accord timing and TDC marks not on flywheel

Hello all
I have a 1990 Accord LX (manual), which about a year ago I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. Now I don't know how I didn't notice this when I installed it, but the new flywheel (not Honda OEM) does not have the marks on it for finding TDC and and for adjusting the timing. My engine has a rubber plug that you remove so that you can see the flywheel turning - there is a small notch (like a pointer) that you use to line up the marks on the flywheel to find TDC and for timing with a strobe timing light. Recently I wanted to check the timing and realized there are no marks on this new flywheel. Does anyone have any ideas on how to check the timing? I'm pretty sure I can find TDC by either using marks on the crankshaft pulley or using the screwdriver in the spark plug hole trick, but timing requires the engine to be running so I'm at a loss as to how to do it now. I don't want to remove my distributor for any maintenance work because I won't be able to adjust it correctly when I put it back on. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:02 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

well, when i needed to find TDC for my car, i had to remove the cap of the dizzy as well.
so you can set it to cylinder number one and mark it w/ whiteout or a sharpie and then turn the flywheel again so it is at #1, mark it and then get your timing light and go from there?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:52 AM
MrHankey
90 Accord LX 213K miles

Yeah, that's kind of what I've been thinking, but wanted to see what other people say. I'm going to make a mark on my flywheel where it should be marked for TDC (it seems really stupid that they didn't include those marks on it). I think once I have TDC marked on the flywheel, I can count the number of teeth on the flywheel and figure out where the mark for timing needs to be (since it's given in degrees before TDC). Pain in the ass, though. And what's worse is I never really needed a new flywheel anyway, the old one was fine - I replaced it because my clutch would only be covered under the manufacturer's warranty if all clutch components were installed brand new (clutch, flywheel, pressure plate).