Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is wrong with my brakes?

Old 07-19-2005, 11:20 AM
oei28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is wrong with my brakes?

I have an 02 Accord LX I4 and whenever I brake lately, it feels sort of like a slight pumping action especially when I'm just about to stop. It's sort of like a back and forth motion of the car (not the brake pedal) every second. But the steering wheel doesn't vibrate at all. I can let go of the wheel and it will stop in a straight line. And I don't have ABS.

It still seems to braking with the same force, but the slow forward jerking motion is starting to get annoying. At first I thought I had warped rotors but it seems the steering wheel usually vibrates in that situation.

So I'm not sure exactly what's wrong and I was wondering if anyone here knows what I could do to fix this.

I have stock rotors and pads and the car has 23k miles on it.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:25 AM
05Couper

Originally Posted by oei28
I have an 02 Accord LX I4 and whenever I brake lately, it feels sort of like a slight pumping action especially when I'm just about to stop. It's sort of like a back and forth motion every second. But the steering wheel doesn't vibrate at all. I can let go of the wheel and it will stop in a straight line. And I don't have ABS.

It still seems to braking with the same force, but the slow forward jerking motion is starting to get annoying. At first I thought I had warped rotors but it seems the steering wheel usually vibrates in that situation.

So I'm not sure exactly what's wrong and I was wondering if anyone here knows what I could do to fix this.

I have stock rotors and pads.
Maybe the pads are just dead, or starting to die?

There is supposed to be a stutter when they wear out...
Old 07-19-2005, 11:35 AM
oei28

Originally Posted by 05Couper
Maybe the pads are just dead, or starting to die?

There is supposed to be a stutter when they wear out...
hmm....I guess I can try changing the pads. There isn't any squealing but I guess it's worth a shot.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:40 AM
05Couper

Originally Posted by oei28
hmm....I guess I can try changing the pads. There isn't any squealing but I guess it's worth a shot.
Yeah, they don't always squeel when they are close to being gone. I'd check them first though and see how much pad you have left.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:42 PM
vikool
98 Accord Coupe 5spd!

It might be your tires as well.
Friend of mine had a similar problem, with new rotors and pads. His front tires had a different wear on each side due to bad alignment, causing it to vibrate quite a bit over time, as he hit the brakes. However that usually also pulls the car to the side when you brake.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:54 PM
oei28

Originally Posted by vikool
It might be your tires as well.
Friend of mine had a similar problem, with new rotors and pads. His front tires had a different wear on each side due to bad alignment, causing it to vibrate quite a bit over time, as he hit the brakes. However that usually also pulls the car to the side when you brake.
Ya, my alignment is fine, it doesn't pull to the side or anything.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:29 PM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would said pads. how many miles do u have on them>? i change mine every 10k or less.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:55 PM
oei28

Originally Posted by strykernyc
I would said pads. how many miles do u have on them>? i change mine every 10k or less.
Well, I never changed the pads yet, so 23k lol. Why do you change them every 10k? The pads should last longer than that.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:12 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by strykernyc
You're either buying terribly wrong pads or doing an awful job braking I change mine every 40-50k, 90-95% highway.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:28 PM
foot

If you feel it in the pedal but not the steering wheel and you dont have abs I would say your REAR rotors are warped.