Notices

Spark Plugs?

Old 08-03-2005, 06:59 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
I believe V6s used platinums for the entire 6th gen and Chad is referring to 4 bangers.
Correct, the Helm I own is only for the 4 banger hamster motor.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:06 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrChad
Correct, the Helm I own is only for the 4 banger hamster motor.
Hamsters or not, it still gets about 10 more MPG than mine does lately with a bad cat h:

I'd like to see an actual back to back to back dyno comparing copper to iridium to platinum in a normal car. Most tech articles I've read say copper is the best for engines like ours, but some say iridiums are - who knows? It's all theory one way or the other.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:23 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Hamsters or not, it still gets about 10 more MPG than mine does lately with a bad cat h:

I'd like to see an actual back to back to back dyno comparing copper to iridium to platinum in a normal car. Most tech articles I've read say copper is the best for engines like ours, but some say iridiums are - who knows? It's all theory one way or the other.
I bet it's all marketing and they just changed the box.....

Iridium fits well on the periodic table so I figure it must be good, right? I'm a metallurgist but I don't ever recall studing the conductive effects of Ir?

Like I said I would have purchased Plats but they were out. It runs the same so I figure it can't be too bad, I change them in 40k anyway.

I'm holding out for the never needs changed NGK's made from Unobtanium.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:41 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrChad
I bet it's all marketing and they just changed the box.....

Iridium fits well on the periodic table so I figure it must be good, right? I'm a metallurgist but I don't ever recall studing the conductive effects of Ir?

Like I said I would have purchased Plats but they were out. It runs the same so I figure it can't be too bad, I change them in 40k anyway.

I'm holding out for the never needs changed NGK's made from Unobtanium.
Well conductivity-wise, copper is the best by quite a bit, with iridium in second...c'mon, this stuff is almost on the periodic table But at least in my plant, metallurgists never deal with that crap. Anyway, some say it has more to do with electrode size and positioning than conductivity. I change my coppers every 30k and they cost like $2.40 apiece, so I really don't think it makes that big of a difference as long as you maintain your car well.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:06 PM
VTEC-Power

Iridium is a little on the expensive side, I pay around $5.00 a piece, thank god my car only has 4 cylinders!!!