Notices

f23 turbo vs h22

Old 08-31-2002, 10:00 PM
kleankord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f23 turbo vs h22

which would be a better idea building up an f23 for possible turbo or dropping an h22?

this is what i've gathered so far in defense of f23 buildup:
- already more torque than h22
- with a lil bit of head work (just some guessing btw my friends and i, hp levels will prolly equal out to that of h22 since f23 already 150 hp
- lower compression better for turbo

as far as h22:
- better engine
- relatively easy swap
- made as sports car so will prolly stand up to abuse easier

which route do you guys think would be best for a 6th gen? which is cheaper? better in the long run? thanks. just gathering opinions...
Old 08-31-2002, 10:18 PM
ashzero
turbo mafia

with h22, you'll get like 170-180 at the wheel, but with turbo (7-8psi boost) you'll get something close to 230 at the wheel...

some ppl will say h22 then turbo, but that just costs too much...i rather spend the money for h22 on reinforcing f23...then feed more boost...
Old 09-01-2002, 08:31 AM
razorv3

f23 with turbo, its great
Old 09-01-2002, 10:53 AM
kleankord

wow... thanks for input.. i was expecting alot of support for the H22... any more input anyone?
Old 09-01-2002, 11:08 AM
kleankord

which setup will be cheaper?
Old 09-01-2002, 02:12 PM
Cyclonus
UP AND ADD THEM

well, of course in the long run u'd have do turbo maintenance...if u don't want that hassle then i'd do h22.

just my 2 cents. :dunno:
Old 09-01-2002, 02:40 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

f series engines have one distinct advantage over h series engines in a turbo application. the cylinder sleeves on the f series engines are made of cast iron, the sleeves on h series engines are made of some composite alloy(not exactly sure what it is). this is signifigant because the cast iron sleeves don't limit how much you can build up your bottom end to prep for a boost app. the composite sleeves on the h series engines don't play well with forged pistons in a high boost application. IMO you should turbo the f23. you can get more power out of the boosted f23 than you can by swapping a h22 into your ride. then you can build up the bottom end on your f23 rather easily and run even more boost. it's a win-win situation IMO.
Old 09-01-2002, 03:37 PM
SIGMA CHI GUY

I've had this topic on my mind for almost a year now...but I've finally finished my car and can actually start saving up for a faster accord...So my plans are to build the f23 motor and then turbo it. First, who has a turboed accord? NO ONE!! It would be waaaaaay original and phat to see a turboed f23 accord...I've seen swaps and more swaps but no one has a turbo...plus if you mess up the motor somehow, you can always get an h22 and then get the right turbo manifold for it and slap it onto the h22 (I think you can do this)...Plus the accord has longer gears which means you'll sit in boost longer which is obviously a good thing and lastly, a turboed f23 would just have madness torque...all in all, it would be SICK!! Then you can rape cars and all they would see is :fawk: .....
So I'm planning on building my motor in the winter and then saving up for a turbo setup next summer...school sucks...

I was thinking about putting a turbo on first and then building the motor second 3 to 4 months later...of course I'd be boosting like 6 on the stock motor and nothing more...Any opinions??

Thanks guys!!
Old 09-01-2002, 04:34 PM
kleankord

blackmagik - i hate to sound like a newbie but you sound like you know what you are talking about so i got a couple questions for you or anyone else who might know some answers: 1) what is involved in bulding up the head? should i do that? mine is SOHC which kinda sucks but will that be counter productive when building a turbo setup anyway? 2) what about building bottom end, what does that involve? what are benefits of doin either?

any light you could shed on my un-educated ass would be helpful. but from the feedback i've received it seems turbo would be the way to go... any ideas on costs? someone was telling me the fmax kit is gonna run around 4k... ouch

anthonycorrd - your sig pic is bad ass...
Old 09-01-2002, 07:01 PM
Cru
I HATE SLUSH BOXES!

What engine would be a lot more powerful and still compatible for a 92' 5spd Accord LX?

Quick Reply: f23 turbo vs h22