Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid is coming out the top of the resivor HELP

Old 05-04-2005, 01:16 PM
d2ndkemper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid is coming out the top of the resivor HELP

I have a 1990 Honda Accord. About two weeks ago I noticed the steering getting hard to turn so I checked the fluid. I put some more fluid in it and a few days later it started happening again. I poped the hood and there was fluid all over the place. Turns out the system is foaming some how, creating a lot of bubbles and spitting fluid out the top of the resivor. I was told that my rack-n-pinion unit was bad so I changed that. NO FUN. The problem hasn't gone away. When the car is sitting still at idle you can open the cap to the resivor and see the bubbles coming into the resovor creating a foam. How in the world am I getting air into the system? Has anyone else ever seen this before?
Old 05-04-2005, 02:51 PM
sibiryk

I had a similar problem. Steering fluid was foaming when engine was cold and when it was cold outside. I had fluid under reservoir everywhere. For a long time I thought that it was leaking through hoses until on day I found that foamy stuff coming out of reservoir. At a same time power steering pump was making noise and I was going to replace it. Pump replacement solved both problems.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:24 AM
d2ndkemper

Daingit. I took the pump off the first time and took it to the auto parts store the first time and they told me that the pump was ok and that I needed a new rack-n-pinion unit. The pump was $100.00 and the rack was $250.00. That sucks! I guess I'll get a new pump. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2005, 08:25 AM
sibiryk

I got my pump on junk yard for $30.00 and I'm happy with that.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:44 AM
jobrien

There is a gasket/seal in the pump that can leak. I'm not certain but it might be possible that air is being pulled back through there. The dealer should be able to at least help point you in the right direction. A new seal or whole pump should do the trick.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:53 AM
dpkelly
1999 Civic Driver

You can search all junkyards with this weblink:
http://www.car-part.com/

Good luck.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:48 AM
d2ndkemper

Thanks to all for your help. I will replace the pump.