Notices

Help with F22 Vtec swap- 1992 Accord

Old 04-14-2005, 07:21 AM
bigt61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with F22 Vtec swap- 1992 Accord

Hi guys,

I bought an F22 Vtec motor to replace the factory motor in my wife's Automatic 1992 Honda Accord EX Sedan. Her car is completely stock and has 238k miles on the original motor and transmission. I bought the Vtec motor with 10k miles on it out of a 97 Accord for 500 bucks, planning to use it to replace her engine whenever it goes out. However, I have decided that for our 1 year wedding anniversary I am going to put the engine in her car for her, as part of her gift. She absolutely loves Vtec engines.

Is there a write-up that is available for this swap, and do you guys have any suggestions as far as making things easier?
Old 04-15-2005, 07:12 AM
bigt61

bump anyone?
Old 04-15-2005, 02:20 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eh, there really isnt a writeup that i know about, most of the accord swaps are of the dohc h22 vtec swap, not the SOHC vtec swap...

i hope your wife knows that this engine isnt really going to give her much more kick than the one she currently has (tho it will make it a little more speedy, it wont be like WHOA!)
Old 04-15-2005, 02:58 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

wait a minute, the 1992's came with vtec already... you will barely see ANY increase, not worth it, just wait till the engine dies.... that or do a manual h22 swap... you currently have nearly the same engine in your car...
Old 04-15-2005, 05:28 PM
bigt61

Originally Posted by DRfrank
wait a minute, the 1992's came with vtec already... you will barely see ANY increase, not worth it, just wait till the engine dies.... that or do a manual h22 swap... you currently have nearly the same engine in your car...
You say the 1992 Accord's came with Vtec already? I dont think so. Vtec wasnt an Accord option until 1993/94. Yes, the 2.2L Vtec SOHC motor is still 2.2L, as the F22 stock engine is, but the displacement/horsepower is not nearly the same. Not to mention that it has more horsepower, and a higher powerband/acceleration due to Vtec. I know, this isnt an H22, but for 500 bucks, who could beat a deal like that. I could even end up parting out the original motor and accessories, and pay for the Vtec engine itself. Not to mention it adds to the resale value of my Wife's car.

I have a friend whose parents have a 96 EX with 2.2L VTEC. It is an automatic, but it still packs a punch when VTEC kicks in. I know from experience.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:44 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by bigt61
You say the 1992 Accord's came with Vtec already? I dont think so. Vtec wasnt an Accord option until 1993/94. Yes, the 2.2L Vtec SOHC motor is still 2.2L, as the F22 stock engine is, but the displacement/horsepower is not nearly the same. Not to mention that it has more horsepower, and a higher powerband/acceleration due to Vtec. I know, this isnt an H22, but for 500 bucks, who could beat a deal like that. I could even end up parting out the original motor and accessories, and pay for the Vtec engine itself. Not to mention it adds to the resale value of my Wife's car.

I have a friend whose parents have a 96 EX with 2.2L VTEC. It is an automatic, but it still packs a punch when VTEC kicks in. I know from experience.
actually i'm pretty sure it wa added in 92... the kick you could be feeling could be from modified shift points throughout the years... anyone care to back either of us up cause i'm only pretty sure and not certain on this
Old 04-17-2005, 02:20 AM
THC

Originally Posted by DRfrank
actually i'm pretty sure it wa added in 92... the kick you could be feeling could be from modified shift points throughout the years... anyone care to back either of us up cause i'm only pretty sure and not certain on this
i have a f22 in my 94 accord and i can back this up. it's also an automatic but when vtec kicks in that mother will pull like hell... slap i/h/e and a turbo on there and youve got a real powerful engine with decent torque.

im pretty sure though the f22b1 (vtec) engines didnt come stock in accords til 5th gen (94-97). f22b2 is the non-vtec f22 which also came in 5th gens. 4th gens got the f22a's if i'm not mistaken..

oh and as for the swap guide, my only guess would be to get yourself a 4th gen and a 5th gen manual (free on the internet) and use the Removal section of the 4th gen manual and the installation section (f22b1) of the 5th gen manual. i know an H22 swap into my f22b engine bay is a simple bolt-on, but i'm not too sure about F22b to F22a. You're going to have some wiring to do.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:27 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by THC
i have a f22 in my 94 accord and i can back this up. it's also an automatic but when vtec kicks in that mother will pull like hell... slap i/h/e and a turbo on there and youve got a real powerful engine with decent torque.

im pretty sure though the f22b1 (vtec) engines didnt come stock in accords til 5th gen (94-97). f22b2 is the non-vtec f22 which also came in 5th gens. 4th gens got the f22a's if i'm not mistaken..

oh and as for the swap guide, my only guess would be to get yourself a 4th gen and a 5th gen manual (free on the internet) and use the Removal section of the 4th gen manual and the installation section (f22b1) of the 5th gen manual. i know an H22 swap into my f22b engine bay is a simple bolt-on, but i'm not too sure about F22b to F22a. You're going to have some wiring to do.
either way in 92 the ex's power was "rated" at 142, vs 145 in the year he is replacing it with.

most of the pull you can feel i believe is from the automatic downshifting... anyone back me up?
Old 04-18-2005, 02:09 AM
bonestock

no 4th gen f22ax had vtec.

you just pretty much take out the old motor and drop in the new one in reverse steps. however you have to hard wire in vtec since 4th gens didnt have it and you have to switch pins a6 and a11 on the f22b1 ECU cuz they were an oddball ECU that had the o2 and EGR pins swapped.

and there will be a difference, not having to do with vtec, cuz SOHC vtec is really more economical then performace orientated. the difference is a 240k miles motor vs. a 10k mile motor. but your gonna have to do an obdII to obdI conversion which is really a b*tch.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:00 AM
bigt61

Anybody have a write-up for the OBD2 to OBD1 conversion?

Also, i've heard about fitament issues with the drivers side upper motor mount. Some say it needs to be ground so the timing belt doesnt hit it, some say its fine. Can anybody give insight to this?