Sponsored by:

my alternator is taking a shit on me i think

Old 03-15-2005, 04:45 PM
A_D
Reset?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my alternator is taking a shit on me i think

i'm pretty sure my alternator's time is up
i've beaten the shit out of it with stereo gear for a good year and a half now.

it started the other day, i'd have my stereo up and my electrical system would cut out for a second. tach/speedo/everything just dies.
at night the lights would dim horrendously when the bass hit right before the car would die. thankfully i was able to turn it off when i saw that before it died.

the other day it did it again and i measured my voltage with the car on and off. it had no difference (12.7x)
so i concluded my alt is on it's last leg
then i read it again the next day and it was 14.4 with the car on

today i'm coming back from work and i didn't even have my stereo that loud and my car just completely dies.
i was able to pull off but i'm sure the person behind me didn't appreciate the fact that my signal i used didn't work; nor did my brake lights.
i get out and measure the voltage just to make sure my battery wasn't dead. it wasn't, so i went in and started my car again and drove the rest of the way with no stereo.

i've already ordered a HO alt (135 amp) and basically, does anyone have a thread, article or want to type the procedure for an alternator replacement in a 5th gen accord? (97 SE, f22b2)
even though i'm sure it's fairly simple, it'd be appreciated to know if there are any little tips or tricks or "don't do's" that you guys have come across while doing this.