Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto to Manual Tranny Swap on 86 Accord

Old 03-11-2005, 05:59 AM
Jimax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to Manual Tranny Swap on 86 Accord

Possible? Expensive? Are parts available? What all's involved? Obviously the fabrication of mounting points, brackets, the cut-out in the centre console, shifter, etc. Any ECU programming changes?

Someone I know is looking to buy an 86 Accord and wants to convert it to a manual. I think it's not feasible, but I've heard of people doing it.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:37 AM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

auto to manual you just need the manual trans ,flywheel ,passenger side mount ,shift linkages w/ shifter , shift boot,clutch cable ,pedal assembly and the gauge cluster if you don't like seeing the auto stuff on it ,just have to jumper the nutral safty switch or hook a relay and mount a switch on the clutch pedal.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Jimax

Originally Posted by stereo
auto to manual you just need the manual trans ,flywheel ,passenger side mount ,shift linkages w/ shifter , shift boot,clutch cable ,pedal assembly and the gauge cluster if you don't like seeing the auto stuff on it ,just have to jumper the nutral safty switch or hook a relay and mount a switch on the clutch pedal.

Ummmm, yeah. I think just buying a manual is a better idea.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:58 AM
2kAccord

If you can get the parts cheap enough and do the work yourself its very feasable. I did mine with the help of some friends in a weekend. You will need the 5spd tranny, new flywheel and clutch,pedal assembly, drivers side axle, shift linkage, misc interior gaskets to seal up the new shifter, and a reverse light switch. The auot ecu will run the 5spd fine becuase the 3rd gen accords are not electronically controlled. Other than that its pretty straightforward of removing the old stuff and putting in the new. You will have to connect to wires from the auto shifter together so that the car will start, the ecu will think your in park and start up. If you need more info go to www.3geez.com Theres a number of writeups there, lots of people have done it.