Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord: Halo Projector Headlights Installation

Old 03-02-2005, 11:52 AM
nyk52687

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Accord: Halo Projector Headlights Installation

I'm looking to get a pair of these for my car but reading the forum, I have read once or twice that I would have to remove the bumper to install them, is this true?
Also, I have read that with the Halo's there is an extra set of wires for the Halo part, where would these be connected?
Also, from the pictures, there doesn't appear to be much of a corner light on them. I know that this light is used for the parking lights, but is it used for anything else?
Also, the auction doesn't say anything about coming with light bulbs, would I be able to use the stock ones I have in my car now?

Any other tips or links to installation guides would be greatly appreciated.
Chris

PS Here is a link to the one auction I am looking at on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3A1%3A2v_home
Old 03-02-2005, 12:43 PM
JL95AccorD

There is a light bulb behind the reflector on the side which is the turn signal. The outside one in the front is a parking light. You will not be able to use the stock bulbs. The ones I have use H1 and H3 bulbs. The Halos will need to be wired to the parking light. I connected the Halos to that one, and left it unplugged from the outside light, so that when I turn on my parking lights, it turns on the side turn signal, and the Halos. The bumper will need to come off and is not fun at all. Find out from the seller if that one brings the bulbs with it, it should. You will also want to seal them before installing them. I suggest doing more research on them before you purchase.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:16 PM
nyk52687

Thanks for the quick reply, you know of any good DIY guides either on here or on another site so that I can just see what I'm getting involved with before I buy them?
Old 03-03-2005, 05:27 AM
JL95AccorD

Not really, I know I've read diy on sealing headlights. I haven't read any on replacing them. I used a Haynes manual to remove my bumper so I didn't really research on that part of it. Just be prepared, it's not fun at all. Do a search, there's other threads on here about the halo projectors, and others that have them on their cars. I read plenty of them when I got mine. Just find out about the removal of the bumper. Thats the pain in the butt. The wiring for the halos is already preassembled (exept for the halos) and is not hard at all if you know how to splice cables, which is a piece of cake. The bumper itself is the pain. And afterwards you just gotta find a good flat place to go and align them. ( which I still haven't done to mine because I'm lazy) If I had known how it would be to put them in, maybe I woulda rethought it before buying them, but whatever, they look nice now. There's pics of mine in the other threads if you search for them.

PS. if you are going to get them from ebay, look into getting some black housing turn signals as well, and maybe a black grill also. My best advice is really just read a lot more about it, and also about retrofitting.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:15 AM
moogotzskillz

what do u mean align them out?
the went go in the place right?
thanxza
Old 03-03-2005, 10:49 AM
JaVa_230

when i did mine i didnt have to take the bumper all the way off, just take the 4 or 5 bolts accross the top off and you can pull it out of the way enough to get the old lights outand the new ones in.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:05 PM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JL95AccorD knows what he is talking about, do what he said, research.
i had halo and they all use H1 H3 for 5th gen accord.
n the 3 yrs i had them the only good thing i found about them
is they dont brake easy since they are plastic and not glass like stock.
when i say they dont brake easy, i mean u can crash or get hit n front hard, brake bumper hood etc.. and the headlights will stay like new, the worst thing it could happen is the corner reflector might come off since is just glue in. this all happen to me and i still have them and dont know what to do with them.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:42 AM
JL95AccorD

You will have to align the lights. Just as with OEM headlights, that you need to adjust the beam. I tried what stryker said, about just loosening the bumper enough to get to the other bolts, but it was just easier to finish loosening the thing and throw it to the side. The light output is pretty good, if you get some good bulbs in there. Right now my budget is on my suspension, so the 40 bucks a pair for the bulbs will have to wait a little longer. If you are good with wiring, you can also invert the outside parking light, with the bumper turn signal. That way the bumper turn signals come on as parking lights, and the outside parking lights on the headlights, only turn on with the turn signal. There are DIY on how to get that done. I want to do it on mine, but for now, the outside light just has a blue bulb in it that never turns on. Are you comfortable with taking off your bumper? A body shop will charge about 1.5 hours of labor I think to do it for you. But you would still have to seal the headlights yourself before taking it to them, and hope that they will be flexable with you as to how you want to have the wiring.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:26 AM
nyk52687

Thanks for all the help. Once the weather gets a little nicer here and I don't have work, I'll pop the hood and see what it would look like to remove the headlights and bumper because I'd rather do it myself if possible.

Chris
Old 03-04-2005, 11:58 AM
JL95AccorD

Get yourself a service manual, and a friend to help you out. You won't really see much under the hood. The bumper is held on from underneath, the wheel wells, under the grill, and some bolts that you remove through the bumper turn signals I think it was. All you will see under the hood is the two top bolts on the headlights and the screw of the corner lights (and you will wish it was that easy, I know I did) With a little patience, a service manual, a friend, and a 12 pack it can be done. Make sure to read up on how to seal the headlights. Good luck and post pics.