Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Belt Sqeaking

Old 03-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Dreemer
KOJ MOB PIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Belt Sqeaking

I have a 99 Accord 4cyl. and the belt is sqeaking a lot especially at night. I replaced the belt last summer after the old one was noisy(not sqeaking). I live in Wisconsin and I think it could be the moisture at night since it doesn't really do it during the daytime. It's too cold outside, but could it be the battery, alternator, water pump, power steering, or just the pulley since it look kind of shiny?
Old 03-02-2005, 06:02 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Battery won't make a noise like that.
Water pump is driven by the timing belt. It can have noisy bearings, but I'm guessing that isn't it.

It could be the other things, you have to check each to rule it out.

Old, hardened belts will get quiet with belt-dressing. Not permanently, but then you'll know which one it is. If it's the bearings for the idler or the AC clutch, then dressing won't make it quiet.

Take the belt off & spin each pulley. Listen & pay attention to how smoothly each one spins.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:40 AM
jobrien

Yep. Check pulleys. As silly as it sounds, you can also use a bar of soap to quiet down noisy belts some of the time. Just rub it on while the belt is running. It's a cheap solution.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:13 AM
planenut

Does this happen when you run your a/c? I don't know if your car automatically runs the a/c when the defrost is selected, it might. Does the a/c work? Did you have the compressor replaced recently? The main pulley/dynamic balancer is designed to shear in the event that the a/c compressor seizes. This prevents the shock of the seized a/c from being transferred to the engine crankshaft. When the main pulley shears, it makes that loud squeeking noise. If this is the case, you have to replace the main pulley. You can confirm this by having someone run the car and the a/c while you watch the main plley from the left wheel well- KEEP YOUR FINGERS CLEAR!!! You will notice the pulley has an outer metal ring (where the belt rides) a middle rubber ring and the inner pulley. If you see the inner pulley turning at one speed ant the outer at another, that is your problem. You can also try to spray wd-40 on it to see if the noise goes away. Remember, don't get too close to those belts when the engine is running!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Dreemer
KOJ MOB PIM

I've tried sanding it and just replaced the belt last Saturday, but the problem is still there. When I spray wd-40 or the belt squeaking spray, the problem would stop for just a couple second. Could the belt be too loose or tight for it to do this? The pulley on the alternator seem a little off which the belt keep on scraping it. I mean it didn't sqeak before, so I don't know if that is the problem? Plus now it's doing it during the day and night.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:58 PM
6thsilvercord

what kind of belt did you use? i replaced mine with a non oem one and it squeaks like youre describing... then i went and bought a oem belt and the sound went away..
Old 03-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Dreemer
KOJ MOB PIM

I used gator first and then delco(i think). I tighten the belt so i'll find out tomorrow if it does work or not.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:14 PM
mohamed_ibrah
Tech in Training

Try cleaning the pulleys too. Use brake clean and spray the grooves down and clean them as best as you can. My tundra also has an issue with the belt squeeking and it is the belt, but cleaning the pulley is a cheap fix until I get a gatorback belt to replace the factory one with.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Dreemer
KOJ MOB PIM

the belt was too loose. tighten it solved the problem.