Notices

Stupid Mistake

Old 01-29-2005, 04:33 PM
haitred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Mistake

I swapped the battery in my Accord. I had to walk to Pep Boys to get it and it took me hour in the snow. Anyway, I got the battery because the car died the day before. I went to install it and the posts for the negative and positive were reversed and I took the color caps off to connect the battery.
Long story short, I freakin reversed it like an idiot and I noticed a small spark, but thought nothing of it. Now the car will not start. Light comes on in the car, but the windows don't roll down and the car won't start. My mechanic took the car and ripped everything out and wants to start with the fuse box. He said he checked all the fuses and the fuses are all good because he tested them inside and out. I couldn't find the stupid thing in any junk yard today and Honda wants three bills for it (OUCH, for an f-ing fuse box). What else can it be?
Can it be the computer? Aren't the fuses there to protect all the important circuitry? It was a very stupid ass mistake, I know but my wife needs the car and she brings my son to school in the mornings. I can't afford to spend a grip on this right now. Any insight would be greatly appreciated fellas.

Thank you!
Old 01-29-2005, 05:11 PM
flyromeo3

there should be a main fuser in the engine fuse box for something like this.
Im more than certain that the fuse is the problem here. Just like you said in case something like this happens there's gotta be a fail safe option.

Hopefully your computer didnt fry. If all fuses are ok than I would say the computer is dead.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:27 PM
jschmid

Yep, check the large main fuse, it's likely blown. I've seen that happen when jumpstarting a car, the cables touched, and poof. It blew the main fuse and that was it.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:20 AM
haitred

I was hoping it wasn't that. How much am I looking at for the computer? Is there more than one computer in the 5th gen or does everything (abs and stuff) run off that as well?
Old 01-30-2005, 07:27 AM
Mr Hyde
Accord Forum Moderator

Pop the hood, and go over those main fuses again. Maybe you can get one from a junkyard to swap into your car and see what happens. If your fuses really are all ok, and your ECU, and other components are fried, you could unfortunatley be looking at some expensive repair bills

The TL-S / The 540i
Old 01-30-2005, 12:11 PM
polakatl

Try to get most replacements at junkyards. I'm sure u could find a cheap ecu there.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:29 PM
haitred

Thx guys. Much appreciated. If you buy an H22, does it come with all of that?