Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faulty EGR Valve?

Old 01-09-2005, 08:08 AM
mattkeiss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty EGR Valve?

.:6th Gen Accord V6 Coupe:.

I had my emissions checked about two weeks ago, but yesterday the check engine light came on. I took it back to the place where I got the emissions and he said I had a faulty EGR valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) and it would cost $75.48 + $250 in labor to fix it. He said that without getting it fixed, I wouldn't pass emissions and my fuel economy would suffer. Considering that I passed emissions not but two weeks ago, and I don't give a crap about slightly decreased fuel economy, should I really drop $325.48 to get it fixed? Will this lower performance or cause other problems later on? I just dropped $1700 on aftermarket suspension springs, struts, etc.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:39 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you don't give a crap then don't replace it. It's not going to hurt your performance very much, but your car isn't going to be running at peak performance. This is something you should be able to replace yourself if you've spent $1700 customizing your car. A lot of times, the valves or ports are just clogged with carbon deposits and just needed to be cleaned out.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:18 PM
accordvtec77

Originally Posted by mattkeiss
.:6th Gen Accord V6 Coupe:.

I had my emissions checked about two weeks ago, but yesterday the check engine light came on. I took it back to the place where I got the emissions and he said I had a faulty EGR valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) and it would cost $75.48 + $250 in labor to fix it. He said that without getting it fixed, I wouldn't pass emissions and my fuel economy would suffer. Considering that I passed emissions not but two weeks ago, and I don't give a crap about slightly decreased fuel economy, should I really drop $325.48 to get it fixed? Will this lower performance or cause other problems later on? I just dropped $1700 on aftermarket suspension springs, struts, etc.
The labor charge is what I'd be having a problem with, because the valve itself takes a couple minutes to replace. Now, there is a TSB on the 6th gen V6 engines, that involves removing the intake manifold, drilling out the EGR port, and installing a pipe that will prevent it from clogging up again. The TSB also includes replacing the valve. If this shop is going to do all that, then MAYBE the labor charge is justified. Otherwise you're getting ripped off big time. But it's true that you will fail the emissions test when its time to smog the car, and you'll be forced to replace it anyways. So you might as well get it done now, than later.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:21 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

if it gets clogged up enuf...the car will start to feel hesitant and sooner or later kill itself.

my accord needs a EGR port cleaning and the camry needs a whole new EGR valve because once it is warmed up and you press ont he gas...it dies.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:37 PM
ak3883

I got the CEL light, and a code P0401, "EGR Valve insufficient flow" a few months ago.

Honda extended the warrenty for 6th Gen V6 Accords to 80,000 for this. If you are under 80k this should be covered by warrenty, mine was when it happened at 73k.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:41 PM
violato

you better carefuly check what's the problem is first. Because last time I got the code P0401, "EGR Valve insufficient flow" then I replace the EGR valve and it's not the problem, my car still having the engine check light on. I will now try to clean up the carbon deposited in the EGR port
Old 01-14-2005, 01:51 PM
wesside
2005 Evo Rs @24psi

I'm getting code 12 insufficient Egr Valve lift I'm off to pull egr valve and see if clogged or stuck
Old 01-14-2005, 05:04 PM
ED9man
driver

Is there any way to bypass them? They are pretty worthless to begin with.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:15 PM
wesside
2005 Evo Rs @24psi

I think there might be a way to do so? I just haven't pulled the egr valve off yet prob going to do it in the morning. With a what im getting code 12 I belive that its taking burnt gases and putting them back into the motor and chocking for oxygen