Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wierd Ticking Noise

Old 01-08-2005, 11:28 AM
magnanpi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd Ticking Noise

Hey everybody i got an annoying noise coming from my car. About a week ago i hit a huge pothole on the road. It hit both my front right and back right wheels. I could'nt swerve since there was a car coming down the oppisite way on the road. Ever since then, when im taking a turn, I started to hear a ticking noise coming from underneath the car. The faster i go, the faster it ticks. It only seems to happen when im pressing on the gas. By slow or normal it can be....tick, tick, tick, tick, about maybe 2 or 3 ticks a second. Or when im going a little faster it will sound somewhat like the wheel in wheel of fortune. It stops as soon as my wheel straightens out and i finish my turn.

At first it was barely noticable. Progressivly since last week it has gotten a little louder and more noticable. My friend at works thinks it is the CV joint. Does this sound right?? Or is it something else??

If it is the CV joint, how much would it cost??

oh btw my car is a 94 EX 4 door. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2005, 11:35 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

CV Joints vary from place to place, so both shouldn't go for much more than $180.00
But I could be wrong too....

The way to tell if it's the CV joints for sure, is to see whether it clicks when you don't have pressure on the joints. For Example if you mash in the clutch when cornering (in a parking lot or someplace where you'd make a sharp turn at low speed) you shouldn't hear the clicking. It's usually only when you have the engine and tranny active that you hear the clicks.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:44 AM
magnanpi

Originally Posted by bluetwo
CV Joints vary from place to place, so both shouldn't go for much more than $180.00
But I could be wrong too....

The way to tell if it's the CV joints for sure, is to see whether it clicks when you don't have pressure on the joints. For Example if you mash in the clutch when cornering (in a parking lot or someplace where you'd make a sharp turn at low speed) you shouldn't hear the clicking. It's usually only when you have the engine and tranny active that you hear the clicks.

oh thanks. sorry i forgot to mention that i got an automatic. so how do i test it now??
Old 01-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Sheridon01EX

sounds like a CV to me.

to inspect the CV joint you can jack up the car pull the tire off and look at the boot to check for any cracks or rips and such. but if you dont find anything its usualy only like 20-30 bucks to have a mechanic check it out.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:37 PM
magnanpi

Originally Posted by Sheridon01EX
sounds like a CV to me.

to inspect the CV joint you can jack up the car pull the tire off and look at the boot to check for any cracks or rips and such. but if you dont find anything its usualy only like 20-30 bucks to have a mechanic check it out.
okay thanks. im gonna jack it up tommorow when it stops snowing lol.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:49 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Yeah, jack it up. There is a possiblity that it could be something esle but what I don't know... If you had said it was clicking when you hit a bump or drive on rough surfaces and across ridges in the road, then I might have said it is a brake pad rattleing because one of it's retainer clips fell out. But yeah see what you can find.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:00 PM
Sheridon01EX

could also be the control arms, my wifes sunfire had her control arm brushings go bad and it clicked ... but it did it almost all the time...
Old 01-08-2005, 07:57 PM
VPUPPY

Originally Posted by magnanpi
oh thanks. sorry i forgot to mention that i got an automatic. so how do i test it now??
you could drive, put it in neutral, and turn.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Sheridon01EX

well what i have done before see exactly where the noise was coming from is put the front of the car on jacks stands, not the jack from the trunk but an actual stand. Set your brake and chok the rear wheels then take both of your front tires off and start the car and put it in drive, and while the wheels or lack of are turning have someone listen for the sound as you turn your steering wheel from left to right to pinpoint the location of the sound.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:30 PM
magnanpi

ok. thanks. i dont have a jack stand but ill try an jack it up to see what i find. if i cant find anything ill bring it in.

by the way would this be considered say normal wear and tear if its the CV joints since it has 109,xxx miles?

or is this something that rarely occurs like say a transmission failure. cuz i read online to have the joints checked with every other oil change or something.

i got the car at 69,000 miles. havent really done a tune up or a full check since then.