Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help with 92 Accord LX trans problem

Old 01-07-2005, 08:43 PM
dbctl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help with 92 Accord LX trans problem

My 1992 Accord LX transmissions D4 light every once in awhile will go out for a couple of seconds in which the transmission disengages for just a second and the D4 light comes back on. I jumped the connecter with a wire to retrieve a trouble code. The check engine light comes on and doesn't blink but the D4 light comes on blinks once pauses and blinks again and again, like it would be a code 1. I was wondering if anybody could help me with this so I know what to repair.

Thanks for any help.

Dennis
Old 01-09-2005, 08:09 AM
FazerZ
Transmission Guy

It's likely you have a failing TCM (transmission control module). Model years 90-92 like that crap out and puts the transaxle in a failsafe mode. Essentially, it pulls the plug and no control takes place. This puts the transaxle in 4th gear, which will feel like the car just doesnt want to go at all from a standstill. No codes are stored when this happens.

If the TCM is original, its likely you need to find a rebuilt TCM or get a reman'ed from the dealership. The dealership is usually pretty high (>$300) and it's probably not worth it.

The TCM is located next to the ECM under the passenger floorboard. There are two modules there. The module on the left is the TCM. Not too hard to get out. The dealership or the rebuilder needs to know the part code on the box before you can get a quote. There are a few out there.

If you don't work on your car, just have a good honda shop -OR- transmission shop take a look.

Good Luck.

DH
Old 01-09-2005, 08:22 AM
dbctl

Default Please Help with 92 Accord LX trans problem

Thanks for your help. The only thing is that it starts off in 1 st gear and shifts through all gears and down shifts like normal. I work on them myself. Where could I find a rebuilt one.

Dennis
Old 01-09-2005, 08:49 AM
gutterslide

if you move your shifter around without actually changing gears, does the light for the gear you're in go on and off? if so, you may need to adjust the shifter so it lines up right with the sensors there. i'm not saying this is the problem, but i've seen it before.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:21 PM
dbctl

I checked it and it didn't go on and off until I put it in another gear.

Update: Yesterday when I drove it (at about 50 mph)the D4 light blinked on and off about 4 or 5 times with in about 30 seconds, when it was doing this it felt like the trans. was slipping/disengaging/torque converter unlocking something like that. I took at on a 20 minute trip and it only acted up that 1 time which was about 3 or 4 minutes into the trip. The engine was cold when I started out. When I got home I jumped the connecter with a wire to retrieve a trouble code. The check engine light comes on and doesn't blink and the D4 light didn't even come on this time.

Today: My Dauther drove it and it don't even mess up. It will do it again though.
Thanks for any help.

Dennis