Notices

01 Accord V6 - EGR valve/port issues

Old 12-29-2004, 06:33 PM
NeverBuyASaturn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Accord V6 - EGR valve/port issues

Check engine light came on recently and diagnosis came up with code P0401 (insufficient EGR flow.) I'm familiar with that problem on the 6th gen V6's and I know they extended warranty coverage on the EGR system for P0401 and P1941 to 80k miles, but my vehicle is at 83k and the check engine light came on only 300-400 miles ago.

I've read the service bulletin about the "EGR pipe kit" that is often installed to fix the problem. My first question is this: does anybody know if the pipe kit usually has to be installed to fix the problem? Since the error code was for insufficient EGR flow and not insufficient valve lift I'd think cleaning the port might fix it, but that's just a guess. I talked to tech at a dealership near me and he told me that the job would cost around $200 in labor if they did have to install the pipe kit. I think that's a fair price given the hourly rate - the first dealership I tried told me it would be $320 in labor, which I'm positive is BS. What I'm worried about is that the techs probably won't even bother just cleaning the EGR port first, they'll just go ahead and install the pipe kit when it may not be needed. Maybe I'm wrong, and I don't want to offend techs who may happen to read this (I was quite happy to see one posting on another thread... I'm new to this forum), but I tend not to trust the techs at dealerships. If anybody has had any experience taking their car to the dealership for EGR-related work, I'd appreciate any advice or helpful info you can give.

What would be even better is to do it myself. I've got the tools and the know-how for removing intake manifold, throttle body, etc. I've got a copy of the service bulletin with detailed instructions for how to install the EGR pipe kit. However, apparently you need a special tool kit containing a drill bit (serial number T/N 07ZAH-P8AA100) and EGR Pipe Installer (T/N 07ZAD-P8AA100). The guys at the dealership parts dept said they can't sell that kit to a customer. An import auto store nearby that specializes in Honda/Acura said they couldn't sell them either. I haven't had any luck finding them online. Does anybody know where I can find them for sale, or whether I can find acceptable substitutes?

One more question. I found a tool online that is basically a long flexible drill bit that was advertised for cleaning the EGR port on Hondas and Acuras without having to remove the intake manifold. The link is
http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=291
Does anybody have any experience with one of these? Any thoughts as to whether it would be worth trying this first?

I greatly appreciate any advice I can get. Sorry about the long post... I've been stressing about this since I really can't afford to shell out a couple hundred dollars to the dealership just for labor that I could do myself if only they'd sell me the damn tool kit to do the work.

Dave
Old 12-29-2004, 08:03 PM
ACURAmechanic

You can just clean the EGR port ,but the port will clog again. If you install the pipe in the intake it will FIX the problem so that it doesnt clog again. So it just comes down to a money/time issue. Do you want to pay $350. to fix it or clean the port yourself every 50,000 miles or so?

Also , if you just clean the port you dont have to completely remove the intake or seperate the throttle body from the intake. Just remove the 8 nuts and bolts from the center of the plenum, the lift the plenum up and clean the port near the throttlebody. It only takes about 20 minuets after a little practice.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:15 PM
na svt

Originally Posted by ACURAmechanic
You can just clean the EGR port ,but the port will clog again. If you install the pipe in the intake it will FIX the problem so that it doesnt clog again. So it just comes down to a money/time issue. Do you want to pay $350. to fix it or clean the port yourself every 50,000 miles or so?

Also , if you just clean the port you dont have to completely remove the intake or seperate the throttle body from the intake. Just remove the 8 nuts and bolts from the center of the plenum, the lift the plenum up and clean the port near the throttlebody. It only takes about 20 minuets after a little practice.

Would this be the same for a 98 accord with the same problem?
Old 06-16-2005, 05:14 PM
foot

The pipe is a stainless steel insert. Clean out the port and make your own insert.