Notices

2001 front passenger behind rotor thingy removal.

Old 12-20-2004, 06:17 PM
Roarke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 front passenger behind rotor thingy removal.

Hello all...I need some help.

Someone we won't mention any names... changed his breaks on his 2001 honda accord ex. Apparently the Nuts where not installed correctly (too loose). Well short story long, the tire went flying off the car. When it came time to inspect the damage there where two bolts that where not there and three that where there. Don't ask how I got it home.

Anyways, now I need to change that thing with the broken bolts and I can't take it off. I have all the break stuff of, and I took the nut off with an impact (I had to use a torch to soften the metal so I can bend part of the nut that was in some grove.) The thing with the bolts still won't come off.

My dad is a maintenance mechanic so he has all the tools in the world, he just doesn’t have the time right now to help me… Please anyone help? How do I remove that thing? I almost beat it to death with a brass bar.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:33 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow dude...thats pretty dumb.

I assume you mean the hub...it can be purchased as a seperate part and replaced. I recommend you have someone else do it.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:19 AM
flyromeo3

did the tire hit anyone/ thing?
:eek3:
Old 12-21-2004, 06:12 AM
Roarke

nope, it was late at night and I was on a service road...although now I am suspicious that I install them incorrectly. I used a impact to tighten the lug nuts. I also used that wrench with the numbers on it, the one that tells you how many lbs of force.

This morning I found that I am missing more lug nuts and I havn't driven it since my tire flew off. I am not one for conspiracies but that was really weird.

Thanks for the name of the part, Its hard to look things up when you don't know what the thing is called.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:30 AM
flyromeo3

now when you tightened the bolts back up, was the tire up on the jack?
If so, did you tighten the bolts back up when the tire was on the ground?
Old 12-21-2004, 06:55 AM
jschmid

That's why you don't use an impact wrench for lugnuts. If the wheel studs are sheared off, then maybe you overtightened them and that cause them to shear off? If the lug nuts were merely loose, you'd have progressively worse shimmy that would cause any logical person to pull over and inspect things. From your description of how many studs you had (5) I'm assuming you have a V6, here's a diagram of the hub under the brake rotor. And yes, based on these posts, you probably shouldn't attempt it haha.

http://www.hondapartssource.com/luteriley/jsp/home.jsp

Look up your car, and it's under "brakes"
Old 12-21-2004, 07:23 AM
Roarke

I know I know, I sound like a total duffus...I am not very mechanically inclined. I can fix your computer/server, but when it comes to mechanical stuff I am lost. I guess if I don't try it I will never learn. It might be costly, but I will have the satisfaction of doing it myself and not giving up.

thank you all for your help.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:30 AM
Roarke

Originally Posted by jschmid
That's why you don't use an impact wrench for lugnuts. If the wheel studs are sheared off, then maybe you overtightened them and that cause them to shear off? If the lug nuts were merely loose, you'd have progressively worse shimmy that would cause any logical person to pull over and inspect things. From your description of how many studs you had (5) I'm assuming you have a V6, here's a diagram of the hub under the brake rotor. And yes, based on these posts, you probably shouldn't attempt it haha.

http://www.hondapartssource.com/luteriley/jsp/home.jsp

Look up your car, and it's under "brakes"
where is the diagram? that site only had things so I can buy.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:03 AM
jschmid

Originally Posted by Roarke
where is the diagram? that site only had things so I can buy.
Yes, it has stuff to buy, it's an online Honda dealers site, the point is that if you look up the parts, you can view a diagram that helps you decide what it is you need to get/replace.

Example, this is for a 2001 EXV6:

#6 is the hub behind the rotor, #23 are wheel studs. Sounds like you need to change the wheel studs.

And yeah, I know what you mean, you gotta do stuff to learn it, just make sure you do your research this time so you know the correct way to do it so you don't mess stuff up.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Roarke

Thats what i need!

thanks a bunch.