Notices

2003 accord pads and rotors job

Old 12-18-2004, 09:33 PM
xbajbusx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 accord pads and rotors job

i just got some preformance pad and rotors for the front i want to install them on 2003 accord lx 4cyc can somebody give me step by step instructions ,and how hard is it
Old 12-19-2004, 06:39 PM
jschmid

It's straightforward. I posted some pics and diagrams for 6th gen, the 7th will be basically the same: https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=44940

Basically release the caliper pin, slide the caliper up out of the way (I use a wire to hang it from the suspension so you don't put pressure on the brake lines), remove the pads, use a large C-clamp to push the piston back in (while monitoring the master cylinder reservior, the fluid backs up into it, and it'll overflow if you push enough back through. Don't let the fluid get on any paint, it'll take it off), replace the pads and shims with some lube to avoid squeeling, slide the caliper back on, pin, start the car, and pump the brakes to get the piston back into position, you'll feel it. I do that before doing the other side, less chance of overflow.

For rotors, get an impact driver to remove the small phillips screws that hold the rotors on, otherwise they'll likely strip when you try to remove them. Move the caliper out of the way, remove the phillips screws, and if you're lucky the rotor will fall off. If you live in the rust belt like I do, they might be stuck on the hubs. Try a few taps with a hammer or sledge to pop it loose. If that doesn't work, thread the right size bolts into the threaded holes in the rotor and that will force the rotor off the hub, I had to do that on mine.

Disclaimer: I've never done a 7th gen, but it should be the same.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:19 PM
xbajbusx

wow man i got to the rotors and when i got to those two screws they are striping on me... help ... this is very cheap can some one help me
Old 12-22-2004, 04:40 PM
VPUPPY

you can either: 1. get an impact gun to loosen it(or they have a tool that you use with a hammer that acts like an impact gun). 2. if its too stripped to remove, just drill it out(you need a bit that is the same diameter of the threads; compare to the new screws) and becareful not to go all the way through. you just want to drill the head of the screw off. once you drill it out, the rotor will come out and the threads from screw will be left in there. just use a pliers and unscrew it. some penetrating spray might help. as for the new screws they should come with your new rotors or just get them from the dealer.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:54 PM
xbajbusx

dude this sux
Old 12-23-2004, 08:26 AM
jschmid

Originally Posted by xbajbusx
wow man i got to the rotors and when i got to those two screws they are striping on me... help ... this is very cheap can some one help me
Yeah...that's why I said:
Originally Posted by jschmid
...For rotors, get an impact driver to remove the small phillips screws that hold the rotors on, otherwise they'll likely strip when you try to remove them.
I bought a $6 one at Harbor Freight and the screws wouldn't budge, the phillips heads on the driver broke haha.

I had to get this craftsman one and it worked like a champ:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...&bidsite=CRAFT

And if they are already stripped beyond working, then like VPUPPY said, you'll have to drill the heads off. No biggie, I had to drill one of mine out after stripping the head with my first impact driver. I just left the threaded portion in the hub, won't hurt anything. All the screws are there for is to hold the rotor steady while to put the caliper on to make it easier. The wheel and lugnuts are what really hold the rotor on.

And yes, penetrating oil/pb blaster works great, put it on and let it soak in for long as you got.

When I did replace the other screws I put anti-seize on the threads to make it easier to remove (who knows if that'll make a difference 50K miles or so from now, but it's worth a shot). Or just leave the screws out if don't want to take chances.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:34 PM
James281

as jschmid said, well you can drill or get this set it would be a lot easier and more tools to your collection for future problem.

Craftsman 3 pc. Screw-Out™ Damaged Screw Remover Set
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...&bidsite=CRAFT