Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake problem

Old 11-26-2004, 07:04 AM
elton_hsu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake problem

i took a trip to Flint 2 days ago and everything was fine on the way there....but at the time i'm heading back home, when i started the car, the brake warning light went off. i thought it was probably the snow and ice frozed out the handbrake, so i went to a car wash at a gas station to give a try to defrost it, but the warning light still there after the wash.....the brakes still worked, but it took longer stopping distance than it used to stop the car....does anyone have any idea about this? my car is 99 accord ex v6.

thanks!!
Old 11-29-2004, 11:38 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2 things can set off that lamp.

Handbrake. There's a little switch under the lever, it's bracket can bend or something like that. Gotta take apart the console to see it.

Brake fluid reservoir. There's a float switch in the reservoir cap, that can get flaky. Or maybe your fluid level is actually low.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:51 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Brake fluid reservoir. maybe your fluid level is actually low.
this would be the sure bet. check it, see if its low ... then replace with genuine honda brake fluid only.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:54 AM
elton_hsu

thanks guys, i got it fixed today. the tube and the leveler clip are broken....
got the new one from honda for 23 bucks.

i also tried to install goodridge stainless steel brake lines but it turned out the braking force only comes out when i tap the pedal to the floor....no stopping power before that whatsoever....and i bled the system twice and still couldn't figure out why there's still air go into the system....does anyone know what's going on? honda said they'll do it for $200 +tax for the installation (8 washers $2.5 each, fluid $3, 2.5hr labor $71 per hr)....:upset:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1121.jpg (93.2 KB, 17 views)
IMG_1128.jpg (74.5 KB, 16 views)
IMG_1126.jpg (82.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 12-01-2004, 03:24 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

Originally Posted by elton_hsu
thanks guys, i got it fixed today. the tube and the leveler clip are broken....
got the new one from honda for 23 bucks.

i also tried to install goodridge stainless steel brake lines but it turned out the braking force only comes out when i tap the pedal to the floor....no stopping power before that whatsoever....and i bled the system twice and still couldn't figure out why there's still air go into the system....does anyone know what's going on? honda said they'll do it for $200 +tax for the installation (8 washers $2.5 each, fluid $3, 2.5hr labor $71 per hr)....:upset:
air leaking into the lines? it happened to my clucth line, had to replace this rubber hose (30 bucks!!!) but ive had no rpbolems since.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:15 PM
motoguy128

Maybe the brake booster system isn't working properly. Check all the vacuum lines nea the master cylinder. This system is powered by the vaccum created in the intake manifold.

BE sure your bleeding the system properly. Unless you have a "mity vac" you typically need 2 people to do this and you must bleed the lines at each wheel.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:12 AM
elton_hsu

yeah i had my friends work on it with me, but still....i don't know what's wrong with it...frustrated