Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how will a 5speed affect 0-60

Old 11-10-2004, 01:13 PM
hondadriver22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how will a 5speed affect 0-60

i got a 97 accord lx Auto and i did a couple of mods. im breaking into the 8 second range in my 0-60 , and i almost got enough moola for the manual swap. lets say im doing 8 seconds with the auto. ANY estimates on how the manual would do??? any estimates are appreciated. its either the swap or two W7's.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:18 PM
AcuraFanatic

Be more concerned with 1/4 mile times than magazine 0-60 times. 0-60 is completely irrevelant in my opinion because it doesn't show the cars real performance capabilities.

And I assume everyone will agree with me, if you're efficient at driving a 5-speed, you'll probably shave 4 or 5 tenths of a second off your 1/4 mile time.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:12 PM
jschmid

You've made a some threads recently on getting more performance. If you love your car and want to mod it, go for it, but you should also be aware that if you want a faster car, you'll get much more performance increase for your dollar if you buy a different car. The transmission for example: If all you did was sell your car and buy a comperable Accord with manual tranny you'd be able to do it for much less (you might even come out with more money rather than it costing you anything) than actually buying the parts and doing a swap.

If you want something faster, look at some different cars. Some stock Honda/Acura cars will outperform some Accords with 5K worth of mods.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:14 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah like John said, I really don't see the point of dumping thousands into a 97 Accord LX automatic unless it's in absolutely spectacular, low mileage shape or it has some weird personal meaning to you. Save your money for a new car man...that's what I'm doing. I could be buying I/H/E and upgrading my suspension, but I'm putting the money in my bank account for expenditures and saving for a new car. It's an Accord, it was never made to go fast. As long as she rides well on the highway I'm happy.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:01 PM
hondadriver22

i appreciate all the info. but buying a new car is completely out of the question. cant afford it. my car is already paid for. and my insurance is microscopic. i know what your sayin but i dont think it will work out for me. but who knows, can you tell me about any cars for under 5,000 with under 100,000 miles that is faster stock?
Old 11-10-2004, 06:04 PM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

A tranny swap isn't all too difficult, and not that expensive if you can do the work yourself. If not, you'll end up paying out of your ass.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:08 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hondadriver22
i appreciate all the info. but buying a new car is completely out of the question. cant afford it. my car is already paid for. and my insurance is microscopic. i know what your sayin but i dont think it will work out for me. but who knows, can you tell me about any cars for under 5,000 with under 100,000 miles that is faster stock?
I was suggesting you save your money. I'm probably going from my Accord to an S2000 if everything works out right.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:18 PM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

1/4 mile is not a big deal for a daily driver under most conditions. I'm usually out of the throttle by 60-70 on the on-ramp depending on the speed limit. (Of course, I'm assuming we're talking about legal driving) :naughty: Also, with stoplight to stoplight driving, 0-40 or 50 is more important.

If you're on the strip, then yes it matters.

I agree with OBI WAN that you'll probably make small gains with the MT, since it's probably lower geared, and there's little slippage. It's much more fun, too.

I also agree with the others that if you're trying to build something fast, then trade for a car with better potential. Pretty easily, you could start out with something a second faster in the 1/4, and then with mods be way ahead of where you were. Do what makes you happy. That's all that matters.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:45 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

a manual also saves more gas if used properly, also allows more control. when its heavy in traffic i can switch thru the gears to control my speeds.

using the engine to help brake can save pads as well.

for 4th gen accords, the difference is around .7 of a second or even more...
Old 11-10-2004, 06:49 PM
hondadriver22

i understand. i got a question though. im not really looking to pull 11's at the strip or nothing. i just want a quick car, thats it. could accords ever break into the 6's in 0-60? ill be in the cord for awhile so i was wondering what the limits are. (this is w/o nitrous, or h22)