Notices

big brake kit v.s. wheel clearance

Old 11-11-2004, 07:21 PM
elton_hsu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't know man...do you guys like the brake kits you have (brembo and rotora) though? regardless of the cost of pads or the amount of brake dust they produce. i think brembo kits are classified as both street performance and track performance....i called H&R this morning and they say the spacer kits come with longer studs. it seems H&R kits are more reliable than i thought, maybe it's another way to get the brakes done at a lower cost. is rotora or AEM big brake kits smaller or thinner than brembo kits?
Old 11-11-2004, 07:54 PM
usc

Hm... so much for AEM. Just swung by their website www.aempower.com and found this:

"Power Performance Group Acquires AEM Big Rotor Line

In an effort to focus our activities on our core strengths, we have decided to spin off our AEM Big Rotor Brake System product line. We are happy to announce that Power Performance Group, manufacturers of Power Slot Rotors, have purchased and will continue with the development and manufacturing of this line.

Our AEM Brake Pad line is not included in the sale and will continue to be handled by AEM.

Please note that we will be making our last shipments 8/10/04. All backorders not shipped by that time as well as all new orders received after that date will be handled by Power Slot. As there will be a transition period to transfer the inventory, Power Slot will not be making shipments until 9/1/04. To ease this transition, Power Slot will maintain all backorder data and will continue using the existing AEM numbering system.

In the future, all communications for warranty claims and obsolescence should be communicated to Power Slot.

We are extremely confident that this move will greatly benefit you in that Power Slot will give this line the focus that it needs to be truly successful going forward."

I was also under the impression that the Rotora and AEM big calipers were not made of cast aluminum and were steel, which would make them much heavier than the Brembo ones. I think Nittanys1 can correct me on that if I am wrong. But my Lotus calipers were MUCH lighter than the stock single-pot calipers.

*** Looked at Rotora's site *** Their calipers are aluminum as well. ***

Something to note though, if you're going for the H&R spacer kit, you'll have to get open lug nuts to make sure the nuts can seat completely and properly.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:55 AM
iobidder
Registered Abuser

OK, so with TSX rims, would you still need spacers....Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:40 AM
usc

Originally Posted by iobidder
OK, so with TSX rims, would you still need spacers....Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.
Yes, you would still need spacers. Elton posted that they're 17x7 +55mm offset. My rims are 17x7.5 +40mm offset. In a rough comparison, my rims would offer an extra 20mm+ clearance (that's almost an entire inch). Of course other variables must be factored like the location of the hub/rotor, etc... but I'm 99.9% positive TSX rims won't clear w/o the use of spacers. (Might even need 10mm spacers or 15mm spacers.)
Old 11-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Nittanys1

I love my brakes!!!! Driving in atlanta traffic they become fun!! I have satin silver rims which is like a shinny graphite in color, so the dust doesnt bother me....
Old 11-13-2004, 04:10 PM
elton_hsu

yeah i saw that on AEM website couple months ago, but i can still see some online stores still selling AEM brake kits(modacar.com, optauto.com). it's just that the warranty will be covered through powerslot, no biggie i guess. if i get H&R spacers, i'll need to get new nuts as well, but what kind of nuts are open nuts? tsx wheels, honda genuine 17" gun metal 5 spoke wheels and 03-04 accord v6 manual 17" wheels won't clear either, they're in the same spec. from a rough estimation, if i go with spacers, those wheels will sit outward from the fenders which might get me curb scratches or car-wash-rail-scratches. oh, another question, although we're talking about the brakes here, but just wondering if you guys ever get side scratches when going through car wash rails after you lowered the car? (not the wheels, but the side trims)
Old 11-13-2004, 05:57 PM
usc

hehe.. dunno, i've never used the drive-thru car washes since getting my first set of rims but even before that, i used it less than a handful of times. i don't trust those establishments.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:37 PM
elton_hsu

hey guys, check this out.
http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=407
brembo north america uses spacers as well
Old 11-17-2004, 06:01 AM
elton_hsu

anybody has AEM Big Rotor Kit installed? how does that work for you? any pictures to share? thanks!!!
Old 11-17-2004, 06:30 AM
elton_hsu

does anyone know if 6th gen accord v6 could take +35mm offset wheels? if it could, then 5Zigen 5ZR 17" wheels could probably clear brembo kit without spacers...
http://www.5zigenusa.com/w_5zr.html