Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dirty Headlights

Old 10-21-2004, 06:28 AM
marcuswilson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirty Headlights

Okay, I've got a 1991 Accord and the headlights always seem very dim. It seems almost as if the lights are dirty. Can they be cleaned or is it time to finally replace the headlights? I'm already leaning towards purchasing some new lights, but I just want to make sure I've exhausted all of my options first.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:40 AM
BONE

I think you need some more lights the dimness is natural wear and tear
Old 10-21-2004, 07:02 AM
marcuswilson

That's kind of what I figured. I'll do a search on the site to see what the recommend headlights are these days, but if anyone's got any suggestions, please feel free to pass them on.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:09 AM
BONE

just pick up a set of factory headlights for your car the aftermarket ones are crap as most people say the light out with them is crap try ebay or your local junk yard.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:12 AM
skabone69

Meguires makes a plastic polish I hear that works very well on headlights. try that out.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:14 AM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

If the headlight covering(the clear plastic where the light shines through out onto the road) is clear as glass and you can see inside of it perfectly, then it's the bulb. If it looks hazy and hard to see in(in the daylight mind you), your headlight housing has become dirty.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:39 AM
marcuswilson

I think it's a combination of the headlight housing being dirty and the bulb being bad. I'll try to see if I can find an OEM headlight on ebay, but I think I may also try to clean the headlight housing as well. It's raining today, but maybe sometime tomorrow I can figure out how to pop them off and clean them.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:20 AM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

Originally Posted by marcuswilson
I think it's a combination of the headlight housing being dirty and the bulb being bad. I'll try to see if I can find an OEM headlight on ebay, but I think I may also try to clean the headlight housing as well. It's raining today, but maybe sometime tomorrow I can figure out how to pop them off and clean them.
The headlight housing is like a sealed bubble. The only opening is the opening where you put the bulb in. There is a complicated and risky process if you actually need to clean the inside of the housing. It involves either a heat gun or your oven. I've heard the heatgun works best.

Isn't a heatgun a souped up version of a hairdryer for anyone who has used one?

I also recommend sylvania silverstars for bulbs. They have a very nice color to them(not that ugly yellow you find with OEM bulbs of old)and are fairly prices(about $25 a set).
Old 10-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Siper2
Former M0derat0r

Silverstars are good (and they advertised the hell out of them during the BoSox/Yanks game, last night), but there's a Euro version called Osram which supposedly has a more true, white light and a more focused beam. Less "show" and more "go," I guess.

www.danielsternlighting.com

Good info in there. He sells the Osram stuff.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:31 PM
klnyc

Mine was more, I have a 1999 Accord the damm headlight clear coat is coming off. I wetsand with 3500 grit sand paper and still didnt do jack. . Yes I even try those magic stuff from Mcguire(SP) and still no good. Ebay is my last option