Notices

so how long do you give my tranny?

Old 09-30-2004, 06:45 PM
A_D
Reset?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so how long do you give my tranny?

143k old, just replaced the tranny fluid
and because of that, my tranny started slipping into 4th gear (this is an auto obviously)
anything i can do to maybe get some extra miles out of it? i'm expecting it to start getting fairly shitty by 160 or so. so i'll probably just junk it and if i have the money, do a 5 speed swap. if i don't i'll just throw another auto in there for the time being until i have the time and money to do the 5 speed swap.

i was talking to my friend's dad who is a gearhead and he said that there is this additive i can put in the tranny to make the seals swell up and shit. he did that with a honda a few years back that had a tranny that slipped like hell. he's also done it with other domestics and whatnot.

anyway, just trying to find out if there is anything i can do to salvage it and stretch out it's life expectancy a little longer.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:00 AM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u use honda atf? all depends how u and the past have driven the car. 140ks miles it not bad for honda it should go much more if it was taken care.
for some reason anything other than honda atf will not go well n honda trams.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:37 AM
TenaciousTires
Registered Luser

Another thing would be if the change intervals were too long. Do you have a record of when the last drain and refill occured? Honda recommends every 30k, and to only use Honda ATF. Infact, many outside shops won't do the service without Honda ATF...so apparently it has some significance. 5th gen autos usually don't go bad, that is unusual. There is a transmission fluid (sorry, I don't know the specific product name at the moment) that is designed for slipping transmissions, and will supposedly reduce the slippage and prolong the life of the tranny as much as possible. We used it in a 1990 Mercury Cougar that was slipping severely in every gear... it helped a great deal. I'll find out later today what it's called. It's available at any auto parts store.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:51 AM
A_D
Reset?

i believe it was changed at 100k last time. so i think i went 10k over
i didn't own the car at 100k. i bought it at 112k. but the people who owned it before me were the only owners and took immaculate care of it.

i think the stuff my friend's dad was talking about it called trans-ex

and yes. i got it changed at 140k with honda ATF at the dealer
Old 10-01-2004, 09:19 AM
magnanpi

my tranny was slipping into fourth also. it had shitty transmission fluid in it

so my step dad at the honda dealership drained it, with a new transmission filter and new honda transmission fluid. now i got no problems
Old 10-01-2004, 10:43 AM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

manual should change at 30k and auto should change at 15k, auto has no filter manual does so i think it makes sense and yeah honda atf has some drug n there that make the gear more smooth. i am sad my car just hit 82000miles
Old 10-01-2004, 06:53 PM
A_D
Reset?

yes honda ATF was used
and i was under the impression that my tranny had a filter
i remember a few people refering to it and one guy who said that when he did his 5 speed conversion, he opened up his AT and his filter was all clogged and shit.
(5th gen accords)

anyway
anyone know about this trans-x shit?

*edit
trans-x
Old 10-02-2004, 09:10 AM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

Mine started slipping into 2nd around 90K. For about the first 20 minutes after a cold start (see: getting home around 6PM, driving the car the next day) the car slips into every gear except the initial shift to first. I've now got 111K. Original timing belt too
Old 10-02-2004, 09:21 AM
A_D
Reset?

actually, when i cold start my car, i'll get onto the on ramp after about 7 minutes or so of having my car started. it'll initially slip into 2nd as well. and then about a .5 second slip or so into 4th/cruising speed
Old 10-02-2004, 09:33 AM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

I found a rather "cute" way of overcoming this. Shift manually. I don't know how great it is to shift manually for an already failing transmission, but I'm not running her up to redline. You know, normal 2500-3000K shifts, and before I shift I let my foot off the gas then shift and it shifts great.