Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD inside head unit

Old 07-24-2004, 01:06 PM
ak3883

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD inside head unit

I just acquired the 6cd changer head unit to swap into my 98 Accord EX-V6, I can hear a cd that is still inside of it, is it normal to hear a cd moving around inside it when it's not installed in the dash? I'm not familiar with how the changer mechanism works inside of the unit.

Should I try to open it up and take out the CD? Is that a hard thing to do?
Old 07-24-2004, 07:35 PM
2kAccord

If it were me I would power it up first and see if anything is really wrong, depending on how the changer works the cd may be loose in there normally. I wouldnt go opening up a new cd player if you dont know its broken yet. Just my $.02
Old 07-24-2004, 10:11 PM
SnP2k

An update about my HU thing --> I decided to F* it and just buy a Pioneer--> for the $200+ ($600+ from dealer) that I'd spend on a stock HU from an 00-02 accord, it wasn't worth it, IMO. It would be cool if you hooked it up and a good cd was still in it .
Old 07-25-2004, 09:30 AM
ak3883

Being the engineer that I am and I couldn't wait until I install it which can't be for a couple days, I carefully opened the top, there were still like 4 cds in it! I couldn't read them, only the top one which was some custom mix, non-branded blank cd-r. Another was a retail one, could tell by the color on the top of it, 2 others were TDK cd-r's.

I carefully took off the brackets, and 2 screws to remove the top lid. I could see right into the changer mechanism, and was not about to go any further, that's where there are lots of little mechanical parts that have to be just right.

Anyway, the one that was moving around was out of line of the others, so i carefully pushed it back into line, and it does not move around anymore! I think it got jostled out from being handled when it was shipped to me. I do think that would have been a problem had I powered it up. They all seem to be in line together now, so hopefully they will eject fine when I power it up and install it this week.

Maybe the cds will have something good on them! It'll be fun to find out.

Oh yea and the main reason I didn't go with an aftermarket deck was b/c I really wanted to keep the steering wheel remote. I've gotten really used to that now, such a nice little feature. Plus I like the stock look of the 6th gen EX decks. This stock system sounds 10 times better than the stock in my old 92EX coupe. I put a Sony Xplod in there, sounded great through the stock speakers.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:40 AM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats why cd changers suck and are cheaper just like everything else when it comes to have multiple cds/dvds
strykernyc

thats why cd changers suck and are cheaper just like everything else when it comes to have multiple cds/dvds
strykernyc

Old 07-25-2004, 11:15 AM
JWarren2001
Banned

Why not make that USELESS post 4 times instead of just 3, dummy? :stupid:
Old 07-25-2004, 12:15 PM
k67p67

Originally Posted by ak3883
Oh yea and the main reason I didn't go with an aftermarket deck was b/c I really wanted to keep the steering wheel remote. I've gotten really used to that now, such a nice little feature.
You can install an aftermarket head unit and retain the the steering wheel control functions. PAC makes an interface for that. The aftermarket must use an infrared remote. Just FYI.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:18 PM
cwa107

It was my understanding that the Honda OEM head units were actually made by Sony and were of pretty decent quality. I have no issues with my OEM 6-disc changer.

When you bought your unit, did they give you the security code for it? If not, you're in for a rude awakening...