Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Speed Censor? Odometer Head? HELP!

Old 07-20-2004, 04:12 PM
Randumb
Resident Audiophile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Speed Censor? Odometer Head? HELP!

Ok about 2 months ago I was driving home from school (2 hr drive) and on the last 15 min of the trip, the speedometer needle started jumping around like crazy. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it would not move at all. Later on that night, the D4 light started blinking (in the gauge panel where it shows what gear you're in) and shortly after the Check Engine light came on. The day after, it was fine.

So for about two months it worked fine. But this weekend I made a 3 hr trip and about 90 miles into it it started happening again. Only this time, I noticed the odometer was not moving at all either.

This time it is not going away. The D4 light comes on within a few minutes and the Check Engine light will come on at random, sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes 20.

I did notice that when the speedometer needle starts jumping up, the odometer works as well, which makes me believe it's a problem with the speed censor. But I had a mechanic look at it and he said that if the odometer isn't working and the needle is jumping around, it's more than likely the odometer head that is breaking. Although, I forgot to mention to him that when the needle starts moving, the odometer does too.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Thanks!
Old 07-20-2004, 11:59 PM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well usually when the needle jumps like crazy diff speed, it means the sensor is lose and needs to b tight a 2seconds job.
The D4 light comes on within a few minutes and the Check Engine light will come <--- now thats a big problem sounds like it at least, take it to the shop run the code see whats wrong and d4 light going on is never good news either. i think autozone runs the code for free, the shop will charge $15. the needle jumping and D4 light going on i think that has to do with the transmission & sensorsso take it to a transmission place. maybe someone with more experience than i can add some facts.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Krome121

Same thing happend to my car today. I drive a 97 Acura 3.0CL and check engine light when on and d4 blinks. Another thing, takes a while for the car to catch up speed dont know if this is happening to you. I got my CL on air ride suspension and ever since Iv had it that way its given me nothing but problems. Dont know if this kind of shhhhhh provokes stuff like this. Well anyways thanks for the help strykenyc I'll have mine check.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:59 PM
bonestock

i have an VSS off my 94 auto tranny for sale. 20 bucks its yours.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:27 PM
Krome121

What is it that your sellin? VSS whats that, is that the speed sensor if it is will that fit my ride?
Old 08-09-2004, 03:53 PM
bonestock

Originally Posted by Krome121
What is it that your sellin? VSS whats that, is that the speed sensor if it is will that fit my ride?
what yr accord do you have?
Old 08-09-2004, 04:49 PM
axemansean

Speed sensors on the 5th gen are a known issue, Honda refuses to do anything. I called around and explained that it was known issue but sadly they won't do a thing. I have to get mine replaced at some point, just lazy and never got around to it.