Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alloy wheels

Old 07-12-2004, 10:18 AM
dazco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alloy wheels

I'm contemplating a new accord coupe soon and i'd be getting the LX which doesn't have alloy wheels. Would you recommend the honda wheels as an option at around $800 plus install, or would it be cheaper and/or better to buy aftermarket wheels. And if the latter is the way to go, what manufacturers make good quality alloys? And what kind of price range am i looking at for a set with quality at least equivilent to the honda rims?
Old 07-12-2004, 10:37 AM
My69NovaSS
Car Lovers x 2

Unless the dealer has a set of wheels that you like I'd say go with aftermarket. For $800 you can get a nice set of wheels & tires and have a bigger selection. Just my $0.02

I am not sure what kind of wheels to get or where to get them, I leave that up to the hubby. We are actually looking at Jeg's to get our wheels and tires for our Accord, but that is because we would not have any shipping charges (pick-up).
Old 07-12-2004, 10:49 AM
dazco

I should mention i want to use the stock tires, and if the cost for alloys and install is gonna be close to the honda option i'd probably just go with that. I'm not real concerned with looks, tho if i go aftermarket i'd of course choose whatever looks best to me.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Intrepid241

If it is at all possible for you I'd say swap out the old POS stock tires for ones that offer better grip/handling. I'm not saying go for high performance super sticky tires just better tires. The stock Michelins really are quite bad. But I can understand if you don't want to do that. As for rims I'd say check out Discount Tire Direct.com (thats where I got mine) they have great rims and tires and free shipping.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:52 PM
dazco

Hmmm....that tire direct's prices are the first i've seen so far, and i didn't realize how much cheaper aftermarket wheels were than the honda wheels. Looks like about $300-400 for a full set plus whatever a shop will charge me to install them. (approx. how much ya thinks for install?)

But what i really need to know is brands......how do i know whats garbage or not? One of the rims there looked really nice, but how do i know whats crap or not?
Old 07-13-2004, 08:25 AM
4 banger

I suggest going to eBay and buying wheels and tires off of an Acura CL or TL. A lot of these fools swap their mint condition wheels and tires for aftermarket pieces, and sell their oem ones for a couple hundred dollars online. You can buy Honda centercaps online or at the dealer to replace the Acura ones, some Acura wheels have the exact same bolt pattern and center cap size as Honda wheels. That way you won't look like a poser with Acura center caps on your Accord. Finally, send me the five hundred dollars or so I just saved you.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:13 PM
dazco

Good idea....i'll check that out, thanks...
Old 07-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Intrepid241

If you buy a wheel tire package from Discount Tire, they'll be shipped mounted and balenced ready to bolt on. You can bolt them on yourself in your driveway. After that you might want to get an allignment.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:37 PM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

Originally Posted by Intrepid241
If it is at all possible for you I'd say swap out the old POS stock tires for ones that offer better grip/handling. I'm not saying go for high performance super sticky tires just better tires. The stock Michelins really are quite bad. But I can understand if you don't want to do that. As for rims I'd say check out Discount Tire Direct.com (thats where I got mine) they have great rims and tires and free shipping.
I disagree that the Michelins are bad. They wear like iron and have great grip, even in wet weather. They cost about $118 each, so Honda didn't go cheap.

Stock Wheels
Good: Stock wheels have the correct offset, unlike most aftermarket ones. (You can find some that will work fine, though.)
Bad: Everyone has them.

I've seen new stock alloys with new tires go for about $500-600 on Ebay. Oh, but shipping costs! Find a local seller if you can.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:18 AM
phoenixitc

The Michelins such as the Energy MXV4 are not bad tires, they are not the best tires, but they are good tires for the average driver who needs dependable, long-lasting, all season capabilities.