Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Brake Pads on 6th Gen

Old 05-18-2004, 05:19 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jschmid
And you have like 20K miles on your car too cause you never drive it.

My stock rotors lasted 75k, so it's true, they can last a long time.
B1tch :fawk:
No, the car has 56,000mi on it right now.

However, the not driving it is only going to get worse soon. I will be transfering to a new job (promotion) in several months. As such, we will be leaving Ohio and I will likely be placing the Accord in storage at my dad's supergarage with my lift I'll get to have a lovely company car, which is good...but Nancy and I may not be able to find a house when we move able to accomidate 3 cars like our current home.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:30 PM
jschmid

Originally Posted by MrChad
B1tch :fawk:
No, the car has 56,000mi on it right now.

However, the not driving it is only going to get worse soon. I will be transfering to a new job (promotion) in several months. As such, we will be leaving Ohio and I will likely be placing the Accord in storage at my dad's supergarage with my lift I'll get to have a lovely company car, which is good...but Nancy and I may not be able to find a house when we move able to accomidate 3 cars like our current home.
HAHA...that's more miles that I thought.

Congrats on the promotion. Hope everything goes well with it...I'll drop you a PM for the details.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:35 PM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

That was an easy job. My dad walked me through the entire process.

Hopefully that sound will be gone and I won't have to replace my shocks. The pads were so worn it was down to the silver line. h:
Old 05-19-2004, 08:05 PM
flyromeo3

Ceramic pads having low dust isn't a guarentee. I had EBC Green Stuff pads on prior to my Hawk HPS pads. The EBC's would leave brake dust like no other pad the rim would be black after one day.

AEM's were the exact oppisite no dust at all, but the pad isn't any better then stock for feel and braking, stopping appears to be roughly the same.

The Hawk HPS have a minor bit of dust but they bite like hell, best pad I have ever used bar none.

Also you don't always need to turn your rotors between pads, if the surface is clean and free of heavy grooves and the run-out indicates the surface is true and flush to the pad. You may simply clean the rotor surface well and install new pads and follow the break in per the pad directions. I'm on my 3rd set of pads and still have the original rotors because I care for them as recommended by Honda and I check the surface regularly and I let my brakes cool down properly after hard use. With any luck I'll be able to get one more set of pads from these OE rotors.
...Let me ask you this question. you might be able to help......
I have brembo cross drilled/slotted rotors.
I want to get a set of brake pads that do not squeel like a pig when braking. I currently have Axxis Metal Master pads ( semi- metallic ). My dad tells me that that type of material (semi-metallic pads ) squeeks .The noise will go disappear for a day or so and then return.....

Pads that have asbestos limit the squeeling noise when braking. Which makes me ask, can I use OEM pads on the rotors that I have?

Or are there any good pads out there that dont squeel like these..
I forgot to mention the braking is excellent. Just the noise is kinda annoying at times.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:11 PM
syclone

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
...Let me ask you this question. you might be able to help......
I have brembo cross drilled/slotted rotors.
I want to get a set of brake pads that do not squeel like a pig when braking. I currently have Axxis Metal Master pads ( semi- metallic ). My dad tells me that that type of material (semi-metallic pads ) squeeks .The noise will go disappear for a day or so and then return.....

Pads that have asbestos limit the squeeling noise when braking. Which makes me ask, can I use OEM pads on the rotors that I have?

Or are there any good pads out there that dont squeel like these..
I forgot to mention the braking is excellent. Just the noise is kinda annoying at times.
you can use oem pads.. it's not a problem..
Old 05-20-2004, 01:06 AM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

grease em up, no squeaks
Old 05-21-2004, 12:24 PM
asianthug_ak47

I wonder if we can just get the quality parts and let Midas or some professional shop put them in. Dealership charges way too much for a brake job and small shops mechanics may not know as much as Gomer Pile.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:41 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

paying someone to change your pads is such a ripoff.
Learning how to change your own pads will save you hundreds of dollars over time.

89.95 to install pads and look at rotors what a rip! It's like pure money for them. Pads are what 19.95 for midas? And take like 15mins to install.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:01 PM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

paying someone to change your pads is such a ripoff.
Learning how to change your own pads will save you hundreds of dollars over time.

89.95 to install pads and look at rotors what a rip! It's like pure money for them. Pads are what 19.95 for midas? And take like 15mins to install.

very true..i've saved hundreds! its such an easy job too...most people overexagerate it.

Dave
Old 05-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Ben95ex

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
i don't think brake pads have used asbestos in over a decade.

Quick Reply: Changing Brake Pads on 6th Gen