Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6th GEN suspension FAQ...I hope...

Old 04-27-2004, 09:48 AM
polakatl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skabone69
:werd:Acura TL/CL S-type suspenion parts are cheap and a great upgrade. I'm going to be getting the rear S-type sway and the people that I know have them love it. For a strut bar I'd recommend either the Acura S-type strut bar, or the Neuspeed bar. both are solid pieces of metal so you don't have to worry about a lot of flex.
The TL-S upper strut is not solid but it is very beafy. It also pics up at four points unlike most struts. I think the Neuspeed does so too, but I'm not sure. I would have gone neuspeed but it cost 100 versus the 45 or so for the TL-S. Also when I was asking about it someone thta was really into auto-x actually switched from neuspeed to TL-S with possitive results.

You will love your new sway. When I put the combo on my car felt like it was on rails. When I turned I had the first impression of the back turning as well and not just trailing along. Weird to explain but its like having rear steering for the first time u drive the car with the new parts.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:24 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Thanks for the positive comments.

Shocks and struts are the same when it comes to Honda's, ignore every thing else, you can't buy a shock for a car that only needs a front strut. Well, mostly--a Strut is a shock with some additional support role to play. Example Accord struts (shocks) support the lower spring perches. MacPherson struts (Invented by GM engineer of the same name.) act as an upper control arm too. Shocks just dampen force. If your suspension will work without the damper in place you have a shock, (example: rear of most pickup trucks.) If your suspension needs the damper to hold the car up--you have have a strut.

6.0 - Other 6th GEN SWAY BARS:

As for the TL(CL) type-S sway bars and strut bars.
All CL's, TL's, type-S and regular [99+] have the same strut bar--get anyone you want for your 6th gen, they are all the same.

As for the sway bars, I find it hard to not try them for the price (sub 100 bucks). The Accord V6, TL, CL, and all type-S cars have the same 26mm+ front sway bar. So only 4-cylinders can benefit from the upgraded type-S front sways. However the V6 boys (girls) could downgrade if they wanted more oversteer.

The Regular TL and CL have an 18mm rear sway, the type-S cars have 19mm rear sways, choose the model you want for your Accord. Accords have 17mm rear sways if I recall.

Once I upgraded to the 26+mm front V6 sway I found my car did wander less on the high offset 18" tires. I have theories about why this worked but why bother, just know I stiffened the front of my 4cyl and kept the tire groove wander down a bit. If you have less aggressives wheel you may not need the front upgrade. Just remember to get the brackets and bushings needed for you sway of choice as well.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:36 PM
Intrepid241

Originally Posted by MrChad
Accords have 17mm rear sways if I recall.
I believe the rears are 15mm.

Originally Posted by polakatl
The TL-S upper strut is not solid but it is very beafy. It also pics up at four points unlike most struts. I think the Neuspeed does so too, but I'm not sure. I would have gone neuspeed but it cost 100 versus the 45 or so for the TL-S. Also when I was asking about it someone thta was really into auto-x actually switched from neuspeed to TL-S with possitive results.

You will love your new sway. When I put the combo on my car felt like it was on rails. When I turned I had the first impression of the back turning as well and not just trailing along. Weird to explain but its like having rear steering for the first time u drive the car with the new parts.
My Neuspeed Bar connects at two points. To everything else :werd:
Old 04-30-2004, 01:25 PM
jschmid

Originally Posted by Intrepid241
I believe the rears are 15mm.

My Neuspeed Bar connects at two points. To everything else :werd:
I measured mine when I removed it, it was 16mm...but what's 1mm anyway?

Yes...but does the neuspeed bar tie into the firewall like the Type S bars?
Old 05-10-2005, 11:13 PM
buffalobill

Are there any hassles in installing the TL strut bar on an '02 Accord I4? Is it necessary to drill any holes to mount it to the firewall, and what about fasteners for mounting it - do I need to purchase any nuts/bolts/washers, etc?
Old 05-11-2005, 05:14 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jschmid
I measured mine when I removed it, it was 16mm...but what's 1mm anyway?
For a torsional spring, stiffness goes with D^4. So that extra 1mm would give you about 27% more stiffness.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:23 AM
buffalobill

I found a reference when searching that I believe answers my question two posts back. Sorry about that. . .
Old 05-11-2005, 09:34 AM
tnrplaya
98 A Chord Coupe

Great write up Mr. Chad! I would like to learn more about lower tie bars...eagerly waiting!
Old 05-11-2005, 06:19 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Originally Posted by buffalobill
Are there any hassles in installing the TL strut bar on an '02 Accord I4? Is it necessary to drill any holes to mount it to the firewall, and what about fasteners for mounting it - do I need to purchase any nuts/bolts/washers, etc?
The strut bar was easiest of all installs. Just remove the cover plates on the black plastic cowl at the base of the windshield this will give you access the last 4 hidden bolt holes you need, reuse the bolts from your current tower to wall brackets, they are removed for the strut bar assembly.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:38 PM
AccordV6

bump for the goodies, very informed, i wish i had read this sooner