Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic Oil Questions

Old 04-11-2004, 11:12 PM
H22accordR
H22accordr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil Questions

I have a 91 Accord Ex 2dr with around 180,000 miles and i was considering changing to a Synthetic Blend (Most likely Castrol Syntec) then eventually a full synthetic(Most likely Castrol or Mobil 1). I have heard stories about bad oil leaks and consumption from switching to synthetic on a high milage car, but then i have talked to people who have done it and had no complaints. Anybody have any input, opinions, or experiences with this type of thing.

Also Just a quick question about what oil everybody uses. I have used Castrol GTX 5W30 since i bought the car and changed it every 3000 miles or about every 2 week with how much i drive.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:24 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

with 180k on your motor i think it's too late for syn. just get one of the new high mileage oils, like valvoline max life.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:58 AM
vassil3427

If you go to Autozone, Mobile has a special High Mileage synthetic blend I think it was..maybe its worth a shot?
Old 04-12-2004, 10:30 AM
MDork

do you have leaks now? if so...dont switch. if no leaks...no reason not to imo. i just switched over in my 94 (97K miles) and the cars runs noticeably smoother when cold.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:58 AM
Intrepid241

I've heard good things about Valvoline Max Life. I usually use Valvoline/Quakerstate oils myself.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:23 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

Originally Posted by MDork
do you have leaks now? if so...dont switch. if no leaks...no reason not to imo.
if he doesn't burn oil now he may leak with syn with mileage that high. besides with 180k is it really worth it to run syn, i don't think so.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:09 PM
Threxx

OK let me clear up a few things:

-Most people don't realize this; but synthetic blend oil is around 10% synthetic, 90% dyno oil. You might as well just go all or none. Paying a price that is halfway in between dyno oil and synthetic oil, to only get 10% of the way there is a rip-off.

-Nothing bad is going to happen if you switch to synthetic. All that may happen is if your motor has some leaking issues, they will become more readily apparent with synthetic, because synthetic does a better job of getting in the cracks and gaps; this is one of its advantages, but it comes back to bite high milage motors in the butt sometimes. If you notice oil consumption or leaks after switching to synthetic, you can either keep using it and just live with it, or if it's bad enough, just switch back to dyno oil.
Or the best solution yet is just use a higher viscosity synthetic oil. In other words, if you were using 5w 30 dyno oil, just switch to 10w 40 synthetic oil and it'll help with leaks.

-IMO, and through all of the research I've done, Mobil 1 synthetic is the best oil out there. Some also say Royal Purple is good, but that's more expensive and hard to come by. Mobil 1 synthetic is a tad expensive too... it's anywhere from $18.88 for 5 quarts at some Walmart stores, to $5 per quart (so that's $25 for 5 quarts) retail price at most auto parts stores.

But considering you can go twice as long without changing a good synthetic oil, it pays for itself. Make sure you use a good filter as well, like a Honda OEM filter or Mobil 1... stay the heck away from Fram with their glued cardboard filter retainers and non-existant anti drain back valves.

If you want to learn more about oil and oil filters go to www.bobistheoilguy.com

I know, weird name, but extremely informative and unbiased site with forums, independant tests, etc.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:32 PM
IamNemo
You know me...

I've got about 120,000 on my engine...4th gen Accord. I was using Castrol 5w-30 dino oil until this last oil change. I talked to a good friend who has switched a few different cars from dino to synthetic and he said that it shouldn't be a problem. He said that the way that people start getting leaks is by going back-and-forth between synthetic and dyno. It expands and contracts the seals all funny-like and causes them to get screwed up (don't you love the technical terms? ) He said as long as I switched to a higher weight (Havoline 10W-30 Synthetic now), there shouldn't be any troubles. Since I switched, I noticed the engine feels alot smoother when it's running...it never really felt like that with the dino oil.

Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 04-13-2004, 01:02 PM
eNoble
My Accord Drives Smooth.

I use castrol high mileage 10w-30. I would not use the 5w-30 that honda says to use, they also say change the oil every 7,000 to 7,500 i think it was, I read that on top of the air filter compartment!

Reason be, its an old engine 17,000 more miles than yours, synthetic for a engine that old is not good, unless your were to get a tuneup, with new seal and gaskets, and all the other bla bla bla!
Old 04-13-2004, 11:31 PM
asianthug_ak47

Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic oil runs less than 20 dollars per 5 quarts bottle. With gas price going for 1.80 dollar average, 20 dollars get you 11 gallons. Therefore, I think synthetic oil is still the way to go if the car doesn't leek oil. If the car leaks oil, I would find a way to cure it without costing over 100 dollars; buying some sealants and start patching things up under the car.

It is funny how most people cheap out on using good oil when it is still the cheapest maintenance for the car. Oil is so cheap, it is stupid not to use the best or 2nd best out there for your car. H22accord, with as much as you drive, you are better off with Amsoil because their oil last 35k miles. I would use Amsoil oil and buy Honda filters online and change the filter every 10000 miles or 7500 miles if I am you. For the rest of us doing less than 20 thousands miles annually, Mobil 1 is the way to go.

KEEP IN MIND, A FULL TANK OF GAS COST MORE THAN A FULL TANK OF OIL AND OIL LAST 15000 MILES.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Questions