Notices

Options for increasing low end torque

Old 04-08-2004, 09:01 AM
swede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options for increasing low end torque

I've got a Greddy stainless header, tanabe medallion cat. back exhaust, and stock intake. I've debated adding a CAI or SRI, but my low end torque is pretty weak right now, and I've read different posts saying that a new intake jacked up their powerband or killed low end torque. Is this a legit. worry, or will I see an improvement?
Any other options would be considered, so please mention them.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:30 AM
miedosoracing

Default low

Originally Posted by swede
I've got a Greddy stainless header, tanabe medallion cat. back exhaust, and stock intake. I've debated adding a CAI or SRI, but my low end torque is pretty weak right now, and I've read different posts saying that a new intake jacked up their powerband or killed low end torque. Is this a legit. worry, or will I see an improvement?
Any other options would be considered, so please mention them.
The more you put on, the more it is gonna probably lose low end. Most mods that people put on are pushing for top end HP. If you are interested not losing low end, you might be ok with putting on a k&n filter at the end of a CAI. Those need oil, and should hold alittle more back pressure when you are down low. Then when you get to the top end they are suppose to breath better than stock. Other than that, don't know what to tell ya. Unless you want to take off the head and mill it down a little for some more compression?
Old 04-08-2004, 09:47 AM
swede

Gotcha. So if losing low end torque is not an issue, how do you overcome the lull in the powerband?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:29 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

how much money you want to spend?? there is really no cheap/ cost effective way to get a great deal of low end torque since n/a i4 honda motors are not designed for torque. you'll need a turbo to get some decent torque.

one thing i would say is you got the wrong exhaust if you are concerned about torque. you should have bought a apexi ws.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:29 PM
swede

So if high end torque is the focus for most Honda engine tuners (I'm new to Hondas) How do you defeat the bog at launch?
Old 04-08-2004, 12:41 PM
ODUB
Banned

depends on the intake....the original AEM CAI lost low end and gained high, the new AEM V2 gains thru the hole powerband. I waited for the V2....if u've got the right mods u can actually add low end instead of losing it...i have the AEM V2, Greddy EVO catback, and a DC 4-2-1 header and i've got more low end now than i had stock.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:25 PM
uclaccord

go back to stock exhaust
Old 04-08-2004, 02:34 PM
ODUB
Banned

stock exhaust? why? to block everything up and lose power again? and dont start with that backpressure bullshit because backpressure is not good for anything
Old 04-08-2004, 02:53 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally Posted by swede
So if high end torque is the focus for most Honda engine tuners (I'm new to Hondas) How do you defeat the bog at launch?
weight reduction.. launch just below the start of your power band.. arond 3500-4000 rpm
Old 04-08-2004, 06:10 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

seriously though, you won't fell anything after doing or that nor it'll be any faster? A friend of mine did most of the bolt-on: CAI, DC head with cat back, + a whole bunch of other stuff for his 99LX and it turns out that he only gained about 12hp total.

Quick Reply: Options for increasing low end torque