Notices

Oil/Sputter question, 92 Accord LX Manual Trans.

Old 02-14-2004, 07:22 AM
Wraith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil/Sputter question, 92 Accord LX Manual Trans.

My Accord just crossed 160K on a four hour drive and toward the middle of the drive, she started to sputter a bit at around 3000 rpms as I was giving it gas (one quick hitch then business as usual). She started to do this more frequently when I was giving it any gas at all and thankfully I'd just made it home. I took a look under the hood and had dropped about half my oil capacity (I also checked before I started out and she was fine). Then I remembered that people on the highway were flashing their lights at me so I may have been smoking, but I didn't smell anything, nor did I notice the engine temperature rise. I didn't see any oil pooling/dripping from the under the oil pan drainage bolt or the car in general.

I'd just changed the oil about 3 weeks ago, but I also commute a ways every day, so I'd put on about 2.5K since then. I use SAE 5-W30 as that's what the manual said, but I'm unsure if I should be using a heavier oil given the mileage on the car.

This is the first engine trouble I've had with this car thus far, but I bought it used and I'm pretty sure the previous owner barely took care of her.

Any suggestions on the cause or oil weight I should be using?
Old 02-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Hondapower10a
Avocado Green Appliance

Try a 20w50. Its a heavier oil, and its supposed to be (at least they tell me) better for a higher mileage engine. I still use 5w30 in my 93, but I also change the oil religiously every 2500.

Good luck.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:47 PM
Wraith

Originally Posted by Hondapower10a
Try a 20w50. Its a heavier oil, and its supposed to be (at least they tell me) better for a higher mileage engine. I still use 5w30 in my 93, but I also change the oil religiously every 2500.

Good luck.
Hmmm...perhaps if the previous owner hadn't treated Motoko so rough, I'd do the same. Alas, I think it may be too late for that kind of lovin'

I discovered on the way back that the sputter seems to kick in when I drive the car for more than 120 miles (or ~2 hours) regardless of the RPM. It isn't burning the 10W30 I'd put in nearly as fast (I gave a dealer repair shop a call and they reccomend that, then 20w40 if that didn't work). I gave it a few revs after putting that in and there was definately some smoke (no, I didn't overfill).

Seeing as how the problem kicked in after prolonged driving (high heat etc), I imagine it's either an oil seal going bad, or god forbid, my rings/cylinders (although that'd be a great excuse to to an Acura motor switch ....hmmm does that work with 4cylinders? No...be good). There's no oil in the coolant or vice versa, so that rules out some possibilities. As long as I dont' drive it for more than 2 hours, I seem to be okay. Unfortunately doing what I do necessitates doing that about once a month.

Anything else you (or anyone else) can suggest?