Notices

Mobil 1 5W30 to Castrol Syntec 5W40

Old 01-25-2004, 03:38 PM
IamNemo
You know me...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh! That's the reverse of everything I've heard! I might just have to switch to synthetic on my next oil change!
Old 01-25-2004, 05:03 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

actually i heard that switching from reg. to synthetic after 85k the seals leak...
Old 01-25-2004, 05:28 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Leaky seals isn't the late milage switch issue, it's the crap your engine has accumulated over 100k or most owners neglect.

-Run you engine in hot summer city traffic and stretch out the oil change?
-Do you get your oil changed by whatever shop is the cheapest?
-Do you often go miles between a regular change?
-Do you use cheap gas?
-Do you dump whatever in the engine when the stick is low?
-Do you ever change you cooling system fluids?

Carbon and other deposits build up, then you dump the aggressive cleaning detergents of synthetic oil into your car and it eats all that crud off the engine. It sets in your pan and cloggs your oil return pickup. And some of that crud that was holding a bad seal inplace lets go.

If you are unsure and want to switch, I'd go a few changes of Semi-synthetic blend first, then switch to full-syn later down the road.

But if my car was 5+ years old and 100k+ mi I wouldn't mess with sythetic now, you (or the guy before you) wasted the better times of your engine on the crap oil, now you have to pay the price. Your engine should have seen the benefits when it was young and wearing away at rings and stuff back then. Now at way passed middle age you want to start doing the internals right? That's like giving up smoking at 90 years old, why bother now.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:32 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

Originally Posted by MrChad
Well since a Honda Accord (gen5) went a million miles on Syntec, it must not be too bad.

I was a diehard Valvoline guy, a buddy of mine worked as an engineer at cummins diesel. I asked him what oil was his preference, since they did some studies. He loved Amsoil the best, his next choice down the list was Syntec by Castrol with Valvoline and others down the list. (Since Amsoil isn't always at your local autoparts store I use Castrol, since you can find Syntec nearly anywhere.)

Do I have scientific data? No, do I care, No? I don't think any Synthetic Oil Full or partial will ever be bad for your car if you change it often. I have done tear downs on many regular or conventional oil engines compared to synthetics--I will never switch. It's not hugely important what brand of Synthetic you run, just know that using one is a huge improvement over conventional oil.

I don't care if an oil change cost me 20-bucks every 3-4months, it's way cheaper in the long run then the alternative.
well the lab testing shows that mobil 1 and then valvoline syn are the best. i agree syntec is not going to hurt car and it's still superior to convential oil. my beef is that if your paying $4.00 a qt anyways, may as well get the best.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:08 AM
Goetz

My experience with synthetic has been very good. Not every oil change but every other one. I had a timing chain noise on a Saturn during the mid 90's. They first replaced the chain and all the gears at 45k. Noise came back at 63k. After being accused of neglecting oil changes, a smart young assistant maintenance department manager suggested alternating synthetic. His reasoning was it had better penetration properties, thinking a tensioner was not loose enough to take out the slack after the chain stretched. He was right..it worked.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:23 PM
SmutWanter
"Made to Please"

Stick with Mobil...It's one of the best if not the best out there. Going to a higher weight for older cars is a good idea becuase a thicker oil holds parts together better, BUT you shouldn't completely change to a higher weight. Stick with the 5w30 and just add a 1/4 of a bottle at most to the 5w30 to get a good mix but something that isn't too heavy for an engine that is not meant to run on such a thick viscosity. I do the same for mine that has over 205k miles on it and it still runs like a champ!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Apachejct

I've never used anything other than regular castrol 10w-30 and I've just went over 250,000 mi and I've never had any engine problems
Old 01-29-2004, 08:55 AM
Camride

I would say if you can get ahold of Amsoil then get it. I have had nothing but very good experiences with Amsoil. I'm in the process of changing my 93 Accord over to amsoil, even though it's had dyno oil the better part of it's life. I figure I'm going to have this car for a long time so I might as well try to protect it.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:49 AM
wappmanb

Default motor oil comparison

For more info on motor oil comparisons look at this.

www.thebestsyntheticoil.com

and this

www.thebestsyntheticoil.com/pdf/g1971.pdf
Old 02-08-2004, 09:24 AM
polakatl

The idea that syntec oil will make ur seals leak is a myth, but it has some integrity. On a very old engine syntec might uncover a problem that has simply been covered up by piles of buildup. If ur seals are fine then syntec will not eat them up or do anything to hurt them. When I researched syntec I found out that its just a much more durable oil that will not brake up as easy and it has a lot of good addiditves that help protect the engine. Some of those addidives clean ur engine uncovering bad seals in some places.

If u have a high milage car and have money to repair the car then I would switch to syntec. If u just need ur car to get u from point A to B and u would be very upset if u found out u had bad seals then stick with natural oil.