Notices

98 Accord EX Sedan, hard shifting manual

Old 01-09-2004, 04:26 PM
upgw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Accord EX Sedan, hard shifting manual

Hello, I have a 98 Accord Sedan I-4 5 speed. When it was new in March of 98 it shifted hard 1-2 and very hard into 1 when coming to a stop (you had to be stopped basically). Once the car was very warmed up, it was fine. Took it back to dealer twice, they told me it was fine. It has gotten a little worse over the years, but not that much. I just had the oil in the trans changed at 80K miles, used genuine Honda manual trans oil. Now it is MUCH worse. Flat-out grinding into 2nd from 1st, and very hard in AND out of 1st. I've always been unhappy with the trans, but this is very much worse. I think this was a manufacturing defect in the trans, anybody have any other ideas? Is there more than one type of manual trans oil in use by Honda? I was thinking of changing to oil again and trying like a 5W-20 synthetic...

The symptoms are worn out 1 and 2 synchros, but they were bad when I first took delivery then.

Thanks,
- Patrick
Old 01-10-2004, 10:57 AM
parcero

I have no clue what can be causing it, but I can tell you that my accord does the same. I am almost tempted to say that it maybe the clutch, but I really don't know.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:22 PM
macssuck

I have a 99 and mine does the same thing. I recently put GM synchromesh in the tranny after hearing the good results with it and it is much better now. I still think there is something wrong because its been this way since day one.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:27 PM
clean2draccord
So Fresh & So Clean Clean

When it is really cold, it's hard to shift into first gear...sometimes second. As the car warms up, it goes away. I'm not sure what it is but it gets annoying.

The only way to solve it is double clutch or rev match into gears...
Old 01-10-2004, 10:42 PM
kaliraver69

I have experienced this as well with my 00 Ex Coupe. It sometimes is hard to throw it in to first but not for me on second. I think it might be a defect but Honda just doesn't want to acknowledg it.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

you have to be basically stopped to put the car in 1st.... thats normal. our tacoma is the same way.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:34 AM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

This is normal for the Honda tranny, first gear should be hard to engage, the syncro design is completely different.

You will have a grind going from 1st to 2nd if the tranny is:
A. Cold, the fluid needs time to heat and become less viscus.
B. You shift fast at high RPM and don't fully engage the clutch to the floor. This grind is normal, stop drag shifting your car, it's not ment for that.
C. Fresh tranny fluid needs time to get cut basically, the fluid will develope shear points over time. The fluid will brake in and your shifting will return to normal.
D. If you think your tranny shifts bad, drive a non-Honda manual, you'll be loving your car in no time.

Your clutch and pressure plate may also be worn by now. This will lead to grinding during shift because you are out of clutch travel now.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:57 AM
AcuraFanatic

Mines fine.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:30 PM
upgw

Thanks for the replies, what is "GM synchromesh"? Is that special oil I can get from GM?

I've driven many manuals trans cars, (and rebuilt a bunch of the transmissions)... my buddy's 88 Accord with 200K miles shifted perfectly into first (even when moving slowing) and second, witout any hint of grinding. The new Honda dual-synchro 5 speed is a awesome, regardless of how warm the trans is. I think Honda blew it on the last generation Accord manual trans, if the problem isn't unique to my car, then the first two synchros simply don't have enough capacity. In the past, I've had luck putting ATF in manual trans cars with weak synchros.. I might try that here.

Again, thans for the replies.

- Patrick