Notices

lowering my 98 accord (4cyl)

Old 01-04-2004, 02:52 PM
tnrplaya
98 A Chord Coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering my 98 accord (4cyl)

I am looking into lowering my 98 accord. I have been looking at the tien ss or basic coilovers, but i am definately open to suggestions. can anybody tell me what i should be looking for? I will probably drop about 1.5-1.75 in front and 1.5 in back. I am interested in having all "high quality" parts in my car, so i have not considered mearly rplacing springs, etc... any information will be useful! thanks.

for more info on my car: www.sounddomain.com/tnrplaya
Old 01-04-2004, 04:00 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Well if you car is a daily driver, coil-overs can be hell.
Springs and shocks alone are usually the way to go.
Coil-overs corrode over time causing gauling on the threads and they are way stiffer then progressive springs do inpart to the relative meager amount of spring a coil-over can have. Adjusting coil-overs requires alignments each time if you want ideal camber and toe.

With your desired drop an Eibach or H&R springs is the idea solution. Unless you plan to seriously corner wieght your car for track use or have a hybrid combo, coil-overs aren't always needed. A Koni-shock/spring combo is going to outlast all but the most extreme external resivior coil-overs over time. High quality springs and shocks will set you back around 800-1000 dollars. To match this quality in coil-overs expect to pay double.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:50 PM
tnrplaya
98 A Chord Coupe

I have heard consistently that tien makes the best coilovers...they retail at about 1000 for the ss, i can get them for 850. are these not the best way to go? i live in an area where i would probably raise the vehicle during the winter months. also if someone can fully decsribe the difference between the tien ss and basic full coilover systems it would be gratly appreciated. thanks!
Old 01-07-2004, 02:18 PM
jschmid

The basic difference between SS and Basic is that the SS have dampening adjustment and height adjustment. Basics are only height adjustable.

Lots of people have the SS and seem to like them. I don't think it's a bad choice if you have to raise and lower the vehicle.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:57 PM
Kingseth2

I agree with the shock/spring combo...Koni Yellow shocks or Tokico Illumina shocks with either H&R/Neuspeed Sport springs or Eibach Pro-kit springs would be a great setup. And BTW your car has an I4 engine. I noticed in your sig you wrote v4.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:15 AM
tnrplaya
98 A Chord Coupe

this is probably a newbie question, but could someone define 'dampening'? and perhaps explain why i would want adjustable dampening. thanks!
Old 01-08-2004, 09:16 AM
Kingseth2

Simply put, dampening is how much travel the shock does when compressing and rebounding. Think of it is as how stiff the shock will be. With the Koni Yello shocks or the Tokico Illumina shocks you can adjust the level of "stiffness" aka dampening by turning a dial/screw that is mounted on top of the shock. I believe a stiffer setup will allow the tires to be in contact with the road more while going over bumps and certainly allow you to corner harder.

So if you are going to get coilovers, you can get ones that allow the ride hight to be adjusted as well as the stiffness...
Old 01-09-2004, 12:24 AM
jobata23
Got Vtec?

Default tein ss

hey wassup i dont really post in here but hopefully soon i'll be putting some pics of my car. well anyways about the tein ss i have them and their great all around, rides very good specially the damping is adjustable helps very well on any types of road condition. if u have the money, SS is the way to go, as far as jchmid said theres alot of ppl like them, one of them is me . Also my first suspension setup are eibachs spring on my stock struts and that didnt work very well, the ride is ok but ull never be satisfied on the wheel gap especially the front. So i decided do some research on suspensions, and found that tein makes really good ones and most of my friends adviced me to get it so i did and also made straight from japan like ours cars and so i trusted it. Till now i still think i made the right decision. So do some research and look what suits you best. good luck!!:thumbup:
Old 01-09-2004, 01:15 PM
snoopy20

I have h&R sport springs. Awesome ride comfort with my tokico illuminas.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:03 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Well I don't know about the whole wheel gap trend, I never swapped to new springs and Koni's for the look, I did it for the ride. I don't give a hoot about wheel gap, unless it's a clearance issue. But I can tell you I love my Prokits and Koni's for ride quality and adjustment.

If you drive your car in the winter, in an area with road salt, I highly recommend you pass on coil-overs. I don't care what they are made from you will get gauling on the threads and this will lead to threading issues of the spring perch.

Do what you want but road salt eats everything, yes even Stailess steel over time.