Notices

Accord VIBRATION/noise! HELP!!!

Old 01-03-2004, 05:28 PM
Renn13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord VIBRATION/noise! HELP!!!

I hope you can help me...

I have a 1996 Honda Accord Coupe 4 cyl 2.2...135k now, I thought it was from the Exhaust system, I had the rear pipe replaced, months ago, and the intermediate pipe replaced 3 days ago...2 years ago 90k miles, there was a 'buzzing' sound, after I got my oil changed at Jiffy Lube (I was hesitant on them doing it)...after I left there...I noticed a high-pitched buzzing sound, (at 2000rpms) sounding like from the exhaust pipe????, I had an appt with a mechanic to get my Timing belt changed 90k miles, and talked to him about it, he said it was the shield over the exhaust pipe and they could Weld it....to stop the high-pitched buzzing sound...

when I took the car from there...it Was VIBRATING so much inside the car!!!....I drove approx 10 miles away, turned around, and went back...had them test drive it...he said he didn't hear the buzzing sound anymore, it sounded good!....I said, it is Vibrating, and Feels like a 1970 Chevelle!!!...the Car NEVER vibrated like it was...He said he could take the shield off, that that would solve it...but, if I parked over leaves when the car was hot, they could catch on fire...so I said, forget it!...I had to leave on a 1200 mile trip the next morning....

This "VIBRATION" has been 'continual'. when I hit 2000 rpms when driving or Parked, it was buzzing like (#@$%!!!!...in June, my brother (good mechanic!) replaced the rear muffler and pipe...it didn't stop it!... he then welded the shield, the 'high-pitched' sound went away for a few days of driving, then Back again!!!...but, the "Vibration" has always been like riding in a High Performance big engine car/Truck!!! He looked at it again, and found there was rusted out intermediate pipe, so I bought one, and he replaced it Dec 31st!...solidly, no leaks!!!
But!!!....VIBRATION is now mostly at 2750rpms...and a 'HONING' 'deafening' sound, at 65mph?????....and we cannot locate where, why, or what it is!!!!...frustrating As hell...checked the shields... the floor is vibrating, the interior of the car, you can feel the outside fenders vibrating away!...

I hope I covered everything....?

any help would be "GREATLY" greatly... appreciated
Old 01-03-2004, 07:27 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Vibration? Did this shop install the timing and Balancing belts correctly? Sounds like they didn't install the balance shaft belt right.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:26 PM
Renn13

MrChad...

thank you for your reply...I was just doing some research on this...how can you tell if they screwed it up?!!! and what to do to correct this?...is what you're saying a 'definate' usual result? severe vibration?...I have kept up with tuneups, oil chg, valve adjustments, etc...I thought I would give my brother a break...and get the timing belt done by a shop, due to him being so busy!

I have been focusing on the Exhaust...then I saw another person saying this:

Answered 2003-07-09 04:30:18

Make: Honda
Join the club... I also have a 96 accord with a horribly annoying
engine vibration at around 2000 rpm. It translates down the muffler
and results in a loud but deeep twangy sound from the flex pipe. I have had the
muffler unit replaced, the engine mounts adjusted, the timing adjusted as well
as buying Honda's buzz kit (which did nothing). All of these worked in the
short term but the noise always returns. There is also a strange related
noise that comes from the air box under the hood when you rev the engine. I have
heard that Honda knows about this mysterious vibration but has no solutions.

My issue started the day after I had the timing belt changed and the valves
adjusted - prior to this, the car was running absolutely immaculate. Anyone
think that these are connected or is this a conincidence? I suspect the issue is in
the engine and that the muffler is a symptom?

Any thoughts?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
MrChad, so now what the Heck!!!
the timing belt!...was replaced in December 2001!!!...
I have put 45k on since then, dealing with the Annoying Sound/Vibration! thinking, just a 'shield' problem on exhaust...
Have I been ruining my car?
Is this a Common Problem with people getting there timing belts replaced?...is the Vibration a normal result??? for something to do with the timing belt replacement not being done properly?
I thought I was doing my car GOOD by getting the timing belt replaced prior to 100k!!!
it was always such a 'pleasure' to drive before this!!!
now I get heads turning...From the NOISE!!!

thank you again for your reply!!!

ps Is that a Cranberry V6Accord w/rear Spoiler...if it is...LOL..cause, everytime I see one...I say...that's my next car...it's sooooo nice!

but, I LOVE MY HONDA!!!...it has been so good to me!...I want to take it up to 300k!!! (but I want it right!)

Thanks Again!!!

a p.s...when the hood is up...the engine runs so smooth!!...but...get in and close the door, windows up=Vibration+!!!!!?
Old 01-04-2004, 05:44 AM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Well Thanks for the complements, but my car is a Milano Red EX 5-speed Coupe. No stick on the V6 models.

If the noise happened after the belt change it is either the balancing shaft belts or maybe the tensioner.

If it is a buzz look to replace the timing belt tensioner my buddy had his go bad on his lude. The dealer fixed the entire exhaust before finding the buzz was in the belt tensioner. His sounded like a shield rattle but he didn't have vibration.

It sounds like you need to make an appointment to see your local qualified honda dealer.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:56 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

if the timing belt is bad, your car's idle would be off too. besides the noise, how is the engine running?
Old 01-04-2004, 10:42 AM
Renn13

hey all!....thanks for all the input!!!

the engine runs perfect...it justs Vibrates a little more than normal. Balance shaft not timed properly makes the most sense, as the problem could have started right after the shop changed the timing belt, but is hard to say for sure because of the exhaust shield vibration occuring just prior to the timing belt change.

Going to ck the Balance Shaft Timing today...

thanks, again!!!and will get back to you with the results, hopefully positive.