Will this work

Old 12-07-2003, 06:54 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by /^Blackmagik^\
remote start on a manual tranny is also very illegal
That is false information.

It is not illegal to have an auto start on a manual tranny vehicle...it is illegal (depending on state) for a stereo and alarm shop to install them on manual vehicles though.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:53 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Nightshade
That is false information.

It is not illegal to have an auto start on a manual tranny vehicle...it is illegal (depending on state) for a stereo and alarm shop to install them on manual vehicles though.
that depends on the state. in virginia it is illegal for a remote start system to be on a vehicle with a manual tranny. period. the wording of the law may be slightly different from state to state, but the basic premise is still the same in every state. illegal
Old 12-07-2003, 08:34 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

that depends on the state. in virginia it is illegal for a remote start system to be on a vehicle with a manual tranny. period. the wording of the law may be slightly different from state to state, but the basic premise is still the same in every state. illegal
Then I ask you to post a link to every states site that has this law stated as illegal.

I worked under a shop that did these instals on the regular and the only legality was that shops could hold no guarantee for the work done and that the customer had to sign a waiver stating they requested this work to be done...nowhere did it state that the modification was illegal in any way shape or form nor has there been any legislation regarding this matter.

It hasn't been a big enough or common enough issue to warrant such a response.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:01 PM
Kingseth2

That is an interesting perspective. What body of authority made the shop collect signatures? And why would the shop not honor their work? If the answer is liability, then what consumer protection did customers have from problems, if any should happen, with the starter system. It seems like an important piece of information is missing regarding the legallity of such a modification. In short, why was the shop under those restrictions? And who imposed them?

P.S.
What state are you in?
Old 12-07-2003, 09:10 PM
93accordEX

Originally posted by Kingseth2

If you did start it while the shifter was in 1st gear or any gear for that matter the car would simply stall.
not neccesarily, my friend started his in first and it went about 10 feet into a basket ball pole h:

and some of them are made for manuals too. his was, and it had a certain way you had to turn off the car, in order to start it. like putting it in a bunch of different gears and stuff with the ebrake. so of course he just bypassed that, and thats how he started it in gear.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:28 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Then I ask you to post a link to every states site that has this law stated as illegal.

I worked under a shop that did these instals on the regular and the only legality was that shops could hold no guarantee for the work done and that the customer had to sign a waiver stating they requested this work to be done...nowhere did it state that the modification was illegal in any way shape or form nor has there been any legislation regarding this matter.

you disputed my statement that it is illegal. i think it should be on you to prove that it is not through documentation.

on the shop installs. i worked at a shop doing installs as well. we didn't do remote start on cars with a manual tranny because it was illegal. trust me, i know how the car stereo biz works too. stereo shops will install anything into anything if the price is right or if they're hooking shit up for a friend.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:58 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

you disputed my statement that it is illegal. i think it should be on you to prove that it is not through documentation.

on the shop installs. i worked at a shop doing installs as well. we didn't do remote start on cars with a manual tranny because it was illegal. trust me, i know how the car stereo biz works too. stereo shops will install anything into anything if the price is right or if they're hooking shit up for a friend.
since we never received documentation to the contrary we continued to install them but at the recomendation of the alarm manufacturers to avoid liability we had them sign a waiver and were never informed that it had been deemed illegal.

Anyways doesn't much matter really because what happens in my state doesn't always happen in yours and vice versa.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:30 AM
ldodol

Originally posted by 93accordEX
not neccesarily, my friend started his in first and it went about 10 feet into a basket ball pole h:

and some of them are made for manuals too. his was, and it had a certain way you had to turn off the car, in order to start it. like putting it in a bunch of different gears and stuff with the ebrake. so of course he just bypassed that, and thats how he started it in gear.
:werd: i remote started my car when i left it in first by accident and took out a fence good thing the fence was weak and bumper took all the damage with just a few scratches.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:49 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by ldodol
:werd: i remote started my car when i left it in first by accident and took out a fence good thing the fence was weak and bumper took all the damage with just a few scratches.
#1 reason why it's a bad idea in the first place.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:37 PM
ldodol

#1 reason why it's a bad idea in the first place.
yea, now whenever i remote start my car i get really paranoid, trying to remember if i left it in neutral.

but now i make sure theres enough room in front or rear of the car, and only remote start whenever my car is in plain view so i can always shut it off before i repeat history.