Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EX 2003/04 Speaker questions/suggestions

Old 11-26-2003, 10:10 AM
RichmondR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EX 2003/04 Speaker questions/suggestions

Just got my 04 EX V6 w/NAV. I absolutely love the car, but I am spoiled by the 9-speaker Harmon Kardon unit in my previous Saab 9-5. So, I'm looking to upgrade my speakers and I have read some of the posts on this board about upgrading, but a couple questions:

1. What type of speakers are in the rear deck? Are they component woofers, or are they two-way or three way speakers? I know I can figure this out myself, but it will save me the trouble of popping open the covers

2. I am trying to figure out the best, simplest, most "stock" way to improve the system. I know that I may need to make the front door speakers stick out a bit to make them work (since there is limited mouting depth), but otherwise I want the car to look stock. This also means no subwoofer boxes taking up space in the trunk, but maybe a small subwoofer mounted on the trunk side of the rear deck is a possibility. I will be staying with the factory head unit, although I'm willing to consider some amplification. Any installation will be done by a qualified installer (definitely not me).

Great board -- Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:44 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

The rear speakers are just woofers... no tweeters.

The simplest way is to get new rear speakers (a nice 2 way set) and new front components... then just mount it all in the stock locations. Something from Polk Audio or Boston Acoustics will probably give you goosebumps.

If you go with higher end speakers (more expensive) and add a strong 4 channel amp you wont need a subwoofer most likely. A good pair of 6x9's will produce a pretty good amount of bass when amplified and tuned properly. Something with 75 to 100 watts RMS per channel would be good.

Just adding new speakers probably wont please you... adding amplification will bring out the speakers detail and allow them to play at higher volumes without distortion.

With the front speakers, you shouldnt have a problem fitting new ones in there... there is a good amount of space between the speaker and the grille, so if a small spacer has to be used to gain depth, it should be ok, and nothing will stick out.

Good luck with it!
Old 11-26-2003, 01:00 PM
RichmondR

Default Thanks ...

Thanks -- Actually that's just what I was thinking, and what the guy at the audio store was saying. They carry Boston Acoustics, Infinity and Polk -- salesman thought that the Infinity's Kappa line might offer a bit more low end, whereas the Boston Acoustics would have a flatter response, but more likely to require a true subwoofer. I will listen more closely to the Boston Acoustics (and Polk) on the next visit. I could always add a powered subwoofer later.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:19 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

Polk has a very nice, smooth and detailed sound... Boston does tend to lack some warmth in the midrange... Infinity is very bright, as in a lot of highs... which tends to be too much for some people, almost harsh.

Anything can be compensated for with some good equalization and proper tuning.

A good subwoofer to look at (if you end up wanting or getting one) is the Infinity Basslink... its small in size and puts out a good amount of sound. Its a great addition if you just want a little extra low end to round out great sounding speakers.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:02 AM
Shmattt

post when uve done something, im anxious to know just how good the car can sound with its stock HU
Old 11-30-2003, 06:39 AM
RichmondR

I will definitely do that. It may happen in phases over a month or two. I probably will start with replacing the current speakers and adding a reasonable 4 channel amp. Probably Boston Acoustics or Infiniti speakers with a 50-75 watt per channel RMS amp. As I told the car stereo sales rep, I'm willing to pay for quality sound, but I dont need a car that is "dancing down the street," if you know what I mean. Even that is going to run $1000.

I'm also staring at looming Christmas present bills and a lease buyout on my wife's 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser. I'll be in touch -- thanks again for any suggestions.