Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 acrord brake sound

Old 11-21-2003, 10:03 PM
cascadia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 acrord brake sound

my 95 accord had the brake pads replaced and rotors turned at 95,000 miles in 2000 at a Honda dealership.

Over the last two days ( at 130,000 miles) there is a very loud metallic sound that appears to be in the right rear. It is intermittent but the further I drive the more likely it is to start. When i put on the brakes it stops for a while. It isn't related to how fast or slow I drive but to how recently I have used the brakes. Then sometimes it doesn't make a sound at all (like this evening)

I stopped at a gas station at lunch and he said I probably needed new pads and the rotors turned (for $198) per axle.

It is possible that my brakes would be worn out after only 30,000 miles? What else might it be? What is the typical cost of a brake job?
Old 11-21-2003, 10:10 PM
slpycd7
H22 fo lyfe!

more than likely your brake wear indicators are making that noise. it has been 3 years, so i would not doubt it that you would need to change your pads.

usually it'll cost 70.00 for the pads, whatever labor fee (usually 45.00 an hour) and resurfacing rotors (probably 30 dollars a rotor) so i would guess around 2-300 bux.... depending on the shop.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:14 PM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

honda rotors are notorious for warpping. I had my old rotors turned and 3k later they went bad again. I went to brembo blanks now and they are good but they are starting to warp on me some. I would recommend going to brembos. I plan on gettting the slotted next though.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:42 AM
Klatu

Yup it's time for new brake pads. There is a metal piece on the brake pad that starts to rub on the rotor once it's time to change them. They start making noise only when you brake, then they start making noise all the time, then the stop making noise and that means the pad's completely gone and you're rubbing metal on metal

I'm not sure bout honda but on every domestic I ever owned, pads were $20 for the cheapos at autozone, and $40 for the better ones. Lifetime warranties on both. Takes about an hour to change, just 2 torque screws that hold each caliper on, need a C-Clamp to push the pads apart and then they just snap right out..

If your rotors don't look straight enough you can bring them to autozone and they'll turn them for around $15-20/rotor. Or you can buy brand new ones for around $50 or so each.

Please don't be like me and ride on them for a month after the wear indicators stop making noise. Then you'll have to replace your master cylinder, calipers, rotors, pads, and possibly a lot more :hs:
Old 11-22-2003, 07:56 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

You can replace just the pads... rotors will last a long time if you dont drive hard all the time. You still have some time left to get them done, as there is a little pad left.

One time my indicators started squealing, and I wanted to change all the brake parts (rotors, pads, calipers...) and couldnt afford it all yet, so I popped the wheels off and broke the wear indicator off the pads.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:17 AM
dliske
Set a fire, go to jail!

Originally posted by Klatu
Please don't be like me and ride on them for a month after the wear indicators stop making noise. Then you'll have to replace your master cylinder, calipers, rotors, pads, and possibly a lot more :hs:
While I might be able to come up with a reason for the caliper being replaced in your scenario, what was wrong with the master cylinder? Sounds a bit like overkill (ripoff) by the mechanic.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:45 AM
Klatu

Originally posted by dliske
While I might be able to come up with a reason for the caliper being replaced in your scenario, what was wrong with the master cylinder? Sounds a bit like overkill (ripoff) by the mechanic.
Basically in my old car I was actually out to sabotage it/myself for personal reasons. I knew the brakes were bad and I kept riding on em anyways.

They heated up so bad that the rotors had huge cuts in them, the actual pads were gone and what was left of the metal were falling apart, the calipers got so hot that they must've warped or something cuz i couldn't get the remaining parts of the pads off, it was like they were fused together or something :dunno:

The master cylinder was leaking real bad so I'm not sure if that was part of me screwing the brakes up or not :dunno: But I had to get that replaced.

It was nasty But I'm better now h: