Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing D4

Old 11-02-2003, 06:51 PM
lubs
Jack of few trades

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing D4

I did a search on this and didn't have much luck.

My D4 light is flashing and the malfunction light is illuminated. The car is extremely sluggish, the throttle just doesn't react as it normally does. According to the manual it's a transmission problem. I plan on getting it checked out tomorrow, but wanted some feedback from anyone who may know specifics about these conditions to get an idea of whats wrong. TIA

BTW, this all happened quite suddenly on my way home. The car was running fine all day. About half way home the lights came on and the throttle was noticeably weaker.

Old 11-02-2003, 07:06 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

flashing D4 = busted tranny.

what year and model is your car?
Old 11-02-2003, 07:18 PM
lubs
Jack of few trades

1999 Accord EX V6 sedan

Busted tranny... can you elaborate? Busted but repairable?
Old 11-02-2003, 08:48 PM
Weiman

you still under warrenty? if so bring it to get fixed, usally states sumin wrong with tranny...
Old 11-02-2003, 09:33 PM
lubs
Jack of few trades

Yes, I'm just under the mileage, thank god. I don't have dealer records although I have serviced the car properly. I will admit to some hard driving in the past, but I've been easy on it lately. I'm quite surprised, I don't know what could have happened.

Is there anything I should know about exclusions in the warranty? In terms of not having records. The car was in an accident about 40 000 kms ago as well, would that do anything to my warranty? The reality of the situation has just started to sink in, and I don't want to have to buy a new transmission. I'll have to see what the dealer says.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:42 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

the accord V6 tranny is problematic. there has been well documented reports of "something not being up to spec" at the factory when they were produced. if you have a late 99 model, you could easily have the same tranny that's in the 00 and 01's. the 00 and 01's had their drive train warranties extended to 100,000 miles by Honda.

if you're under warranty still, take it in asap and i could bet that they will just replace the entire transmission than try to rebuild it.

do you feel the car slipping out of gears? hopefully it's not a broken wastegate (which was repaired on my car), and you can get a new tranny on the house. :thumbup:
Old 11-03-2003, 12:05 AM
Weiman

change ur transmission fluid every 15k miles?/
Old 11-04-2003, 11:32 AM
lubs
Jack of few trades

Ok, I went to the dealer to get the problem checked out.

The technician said one of the two solenoids is damaged and requires replacement. He said it's not covered under warranty and the service would cost me over $500. I did some searching on the board regarding the solenoid and it raised my curiousity. I only have 8000 kms left on the powertrain warranty, if there's a bigger problem here I want it addressed before I'm stuck with the bill for a new transmission. According the the symptoms, can anyone tell me if the solenoid sounds like a likely fault?

I can say that the car does seem to drive normally out of 1st gear. So when cruising, you wouldn't even know there's a problem with the car.

As of now, I'm scheduled to get my solenoid replaced tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:05 PM
b168ag

It's a coincidence that my coworker had the same flashing D light. However, the culprit was a mouse! He's just had the car fixed this afternoon.

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...hreadid=105468
Old 11-04-2003, 04:32 PM
JonHsiung
u c l a

I had the tranny problem on my accord before and it's a 6th gen V6 too. The dealership replaced mine for free because it was under warranty. Personally, I don't think that the dealership should charge you for that repair because as far as I know, it should be covered under your powertrain warranty.

They replaced the solenoids BOTH times I brought my shot tranny in and it did NOTHING. It's just proper procedure to change the solenoids first and test it before scrapping it for a new tranny because the solenoids are one of the more common minor problems, but if your tranny is truly gone (like mine), replacing them will do nothing. I suggest you have them replace the whole thing under warranty and not pay for it until you make sure that everything is running fine at the dealership and a couple of test runs.