Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering wheel vibration

Old 10-26-2003, 07:46 PM
92acex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel vibration

I have a 1992 Honda Accord EX with 144K on it. In the last couple of weeks, I started to feel a vibration in the steering wheel. The steering wheel does not move back and forth, but stays in one place and vibrates. The vibration is the same when I first start driving and 2 hours after driving. It does, though, get worse when it is colder outside and is more noticable when I move the steering wheel slighly, almost like some sort of gyroscopic effect. The rotors are warped, but not real bad (I have driven cars with rotors so warped the steering wheel felt like it was going to break loose when braking, but there were no vibrations under normal driving). Just replaced all the tires and driveshafts. I jerked on all the suspension components and nothing was loose, plus the lower ball joints and outer tie rods are less than a year old. I do not think the vibration is related to loose suspension components, but instead to something that is rotating because there is a definite relationship between tire speed and the vibration. I am running out of ideas of what could be causing this. Any ideas would help alot. Thanks
Old 10-26-2003, 08:58 PM
clean2draccord
So Fresh & So Clean Clean

Maybe your alignment is messed up, or your tires need balancing.

If it occurs when you are braking, then you will need your rotors resurfaced.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:33 AM
92acex

I had my wheels balanced when I got the new tires put on, and I do get vibration when I brake but it is different from the vibration that happens during normal driving.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:05 AM
slpycd7
H22 fo lyfe!

resurface your rotors, or get new ones
Old 10-27-2003, 10:15 AM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

yea man. What sucks is that I just had to rotors put on this past summer and i am getting the shakes again already. I got brembo blanks and aem pads. its not as bad as before. I can see me getting some slotted rotors though.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:19 AM
MeiSoSlow
WEEEEE!!!!!

Anyone know how much it would cost to get brembo blanks slotted or x-drilled
Old 10-27-2003, 01:23 PM
albee

This may not be your problem, but a couple of times in the past I had a bad shimmy/vibration problem that coincidently started after I drove on a muddy road. What happened was that the mud caked onto the wheel, and after it dried out a piece of the mud broke off, unbalancing the wheel.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:29 PM
92lx

get your rotors turned if they are warped, and then see if it still happens. If they are badly warped, I can see them "throwing the wheel out of balance" since they spin on the same axis.

Also, I know this sounds really silly, but make sure you have all your lug nuts.

- Nathan
Old 02-09-2006, 08:58 PM
humblehyper

I'm having a similar problem, when I step on the break my steering wheel slightly vibrates, it only happened when I purchased the new rims and tires, could it be just a simple wheel balancing or alignment? Dont know much about cars . Thanks.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by humblehyper
I'm having a similar problem, when I step on the break my steering wheel slightly vibrates, it only happened when I purchased the new rims and tires, could it be just a simple wheel balancing or alignment? Dont know much about cars . Thanks.
if it vibrates only when you brake... then your rotors are warped.